motion control using RSlogix5000

tj5nguyen

I could not get a PC (process complete) bit to turn on after a MAM command. This only happens on one of the many MAM commands on the same axis. Could tuning be a problem for this? I notice that my axis run very slow compare to what I really tell it to run.

Not familiar with RSL5k motion, but usually if the move isn't finishing correctly it means that the position error isn't within the position lock tolerance. It may look like it's stopped in the right position, but be a few thousandths shy of the lock tolerance. Adding a little I gain usually helps.

As for speed, that is controlled by the dynamics of the requested move and the configuration of the axis and amplifier. If the amplifier is unable to match the speeds required in the move axis command, you should be able to tell by watching the actual velocity vs. command velocity. I don't know specificially where you'll find these values, and the terminology I use may not be quite the same.

Hope this helps
Paul C.

Last edited:
The .PC bit is turned on when the command position has reached the target. This is usually slightly before the axis achieves position lock. The bit stays on until the instruction is re-initiated or until unlatched by other logic.

As for the slow speed - maybe the accel/decel rates are too low.

tj5nguyen said:
I could not get a PC (process complete) bit to turn on after a MAM command. This only happens on one of the many MAM commands on the same axis.
Have you looked at a trend? Does the axis actual get to position?

tj5nguyen said:
Could tuning be a problem for this?
No, not if the other moves work. I would look at a trend but I suspect the motion is being obtructed. I could tell by looking at the position and the control output from the trend. Get it. Hint. Get a trend.

tj5nguyen said:
I notice that my axis run very slow compare to what I really tell it to run.
Why does the axis run very slow? Is it because the the target position is moving slow? If the target position is moving slow then look at Gerry's suggestion.