Advice on simple starter PLC

delunn

I'm new to PLCs but have made it most of the way through the tutorial and ladder logic and visual basic make sense to me. I have a good electronics background, but have never worked with a PLC. I'm looking for a simple, used PLC to practice with. The application I'm playing with sequentially operates four air cylinders via solenoids. Most of what I see on eBay is what looks like monster systems for my knowledge of PLCs.

Starting with PLC

Hi Delunn

I started with a 10 I/O PLC by Omron (CPM1A) with relay outputs, with their SYSMAC software for windows.
The PLC and software manual make very good documentation.
The next step was using HMI panel for real time monitoring and control (I used Exor, but Omron has similar equipment).
Prices may differ among supply sources, but it is arround $300 for the PLC and $100 for the interface to PC/Windows.
I was lucky to get the SYSMAC software for free (the rep just came over and installed it on two computers).
You may try other supplier of course.
My local rep also offered a self training manual with several sample programs and quizes.

Moty.

delunn-
Do you work in an industrial setting now?
If so look at the brand of PLC that is used where you are now working.

If you've got mostly AB micrologix/SLC500 on the floor, then I would get the 1761-L16BWA-R1E
starter package for RSLogix. It will probably cost a hundred bucks more than the Automation direct, but you will be learning the intricacies of the platform that you will most likely be using.

If on the other hand, you are purely a student, then the Koyo (that's Automation Direct ) is a good choice.
Good luck
George Bradley