Need Panelview 550 firmware file

David Proctor

I am looking for a Panelview 550 firmware file. The current firmware is 3.01 and I am looking for something in the 4.xxx or higher. I checked the Rockwell site and was not able to find a firmware files for the Panelview. I have a 550 with both touch and keys with DH485.

Welcome to the Forum!
The PanelView Standard terminals firmware packages are included within the PanelBuilder 32 software install madia.
Do you have the PB32 install CD and an ATA Flash Memory Card(catalog number 2711-NM216, NM232)?

You can download firmware using a flash card or using a network connection, but I prefer the flash card, especially when the network is something tricky like DH485.

PanelView Standard terminals with v3 or later firmware support ordinary "ATA" style memory cards. While RA will only officially support their cards because they're tested for compatability, I've had very good success using ordinary SanDisk CompactFlash cards in a PCMCIA carrier module.

The PanelViews only understand the classic FAT formatting style, so the CF card needs to be formatted for FAT, not FAT32 or NTFS or anything else. Usually that means a card under 2 GB.

You will find that the firmware is contained in a directory of files "to be used over a network" and a directory of files "to be used with a flash card".

Upgrading the firmware via an ATA Flash Memory Card is not a must but recommended since you will only need to copy the FUP on the media and then insert it into the terminal.
The PB32 install package also contains the PanelView Firmware Upgrade utility (WinMBFWDL.exe).
You could run it while connected to the terminal, however, this is a pretty "delicate" process and any misstep could render your HMI terminal useless.
Either way, Flash Memory Card or Firmware Upgrade Utilty, first backup the application file and the HMI's communications settings since upgrading the firmware will erase any user application and/or user defined settings.
If you have a valid RA TechConnect contract refer to :
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25373/related/1

I found a memory card and changed the format to FAT. Placed the firmware file on the memory card. Inserted the card in the Panelview 550. Powered the 550 up and have an error code 25 which appears to mean there is a problem with the boot code and new firmware. where do I go from here?

It means that the installed firmware package does not match the terminal type.
What firmware package was copied on the ATA card?
What is the exact model number of your terminal?
What PB32 revision are your running?

I dunno what to tell you...Is your terminal BOTH KEYPAD and TOUCH?
The model # states so, however, I have seen plenty of wrong labels....

I know the version 1.x PV550 terminals couldn't be upgraded past version 1.07, but I thought that all later ones could.

The PanelView Standard firmware and hardware history isn't very well documented since most of them just went in and ran forever, or until they met an operator with a screwdriver.

This is a case for RA Tech Support, I think.