Automated Parking System Using OMRON PLC and HMI

Hey guys !

I am new to this forum. So, I hope you guys don't mind my noobiness :p . I am working on my Final Year Project which aims to design and develop a automated parking system using PLC. I am fairly new to PLC Ladder logic programming. Are there any good tutorials for CX programmer ?

Omron sysmac CP1L-M40DR-A has 24VDC Input/Output ports . I have IR-sensors which are the input to my PLC. They need to be supplied with 5V DC . How do I do this ?

Also, for my output, I have two motors which control a lift system. The motors are 15V DC rated and my output from PLC is actually 24VDC. How do I control the motor ?

They need to be supplied with 5V DC . How do I do this ?
Buy or borrow a 5 volt DC power supply. Unless your sensors are rated for a 24 VDC output, they may not work even with the correct supply voltage.

The motors are 15V DC rated and my output from PLC is actually 24VDC. How do I control the motor ?
Very carefully! There are very few motors* that are small enough to be powered directly from a PLC output. You may need a 15 VDC power supply for the motors, and a 24 VDC relay (controlled by a PLC output) to switch 15 volts to your motors.

* I have seen some toy motors, model car motors, and clock motors that could be driven directly by a 24 VDC PLC output.

Last edited:
Hey guys !

I have IR-sensors which are the input to my PLC. They need to be supplied with 5V DC . How do I do this ?
As Lancie has already inferred, the 5VDC sensors will not be able to drive an input. Are these sensors required for the project, or does the possibility exist that you can use something else? Or, will you need to build an interface between the sensors and the PLC?

Also, for my output, I have two motors which control a lift system. The motors are 15V DC rated and my output from PLC is actually 24VDC. How do I control the motor ?
Again, as Lancie has stated, there are very few motors that can be directly driven from a PLC output. Actually, few enough that we may as well say virtually none. Are there any other ratings on the motor? Or perhaps a make and model number if no other info is available?

The part number you listed (CP1L-M40DR-A) has 24 volt DC sourcing inputs, relay contact outputs, and requires 120 to 240 volt AC power.
I suspect that those 5 volt sensors are sinking inputs and will not work with the PLC you have selected.
The relay contact outputs are rated for 2 amps maximum current.

Buy or borrow a 5 volt DC power supply. Unless your sensors are rated for a 24 VDC output, they may not work even with the correct supply voltage.

Very carefully! There are very few motors* that are small enough to be powered directly from a PLC output. You may need a 15 VDC power supply for the motors, and a 24 VDC relay (controlled by a PLC output) to switch 15 volts to your motors.

* I have seen some toy motors, model car motors, and clock motors that could be driven directly by a 24 VDC PLC output.

I have a separate DC power supply module which can supply 5VDC . Can I use it to power my sensors ? the sensors basically senses if a car is present at the entrance gate or not ..according to that it will either open/close the gate.

Can i use a voltage regulator to supply 15V to my motor. So the output of the PLC will go in to a 24VDC relay which will be connected via a voltage regulator to the motor which in turn will control the lift system.

As Lancie has already inferred, the 5VDC sensors will not be able to drive an input. Are these sensors required for the project, or does the possibility exist that you can use something else? Or, will you need to build an interface between the sensors and the PLC?

Again, as Lancie has stated, there are very few motors that can be directly driven from a PLC output. Actually, few enough that we may as well say virtually none. Are there any other ratings on the motor? Or perhaps a make and model number if no other info is available?

The IR sensors are there to basically detect the presence of an object(car) at the entrance and exit gates. Also, IR sensors are used at all the parking spaces available to check if a parking spot is free or not. Can I use something else instead of IR sensors ? I picked IR because they are the cheapest when it comes to small projects ..

I am driving the motor via a 24VDC relay. Yes These are the ratings on the motor :
Motor make : Como Drills
Current rating : 2.85A
Output speed : 13360 rpm
power rating: 21.2W
supply voltage: 4.5V - 15V

The part number you listed (CP1L-M40DR-A) has 24 volt DC sourcing inputs, relay contact outputs, and requires 120 to 240 volt AC power.
I suspect that those 5 volt sensors are sinking inputs and will not work with the PLC you have selected.
The relay contact outputs are rated for 2 amps maximum current.

Yes, power supply is 240 AC. What are sinking inputs? so what type of sensors should I select ? I

I am planning to buy these relay modules. Are they fine ?
http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/3860811/

I picked IR because they are the cheapest when it comes to small projects
The problem isn't that you want to use IR sensors. The problem is that the sensors are 5VDC which by themselves won't supply the required voltage to turn on a 24VDC Input.

I am driving the motor via a 24VDC relay. Yes These are the ratings on the motor :
Motor make : Como Drills
Current rating : 2.85A
Output speed : 13360 rpm
power rating: 21.2W
supply voltage: 4.5V - 15V
The relay you have picked out should be fine. It's rated at 5A at 30VDC for inductive loads (like a motor).

Also, looking at the spec sheet, it appears that you can use either current sourcing or current sinking components on the inputs.

Last edited:
Can I use something else instead of IR sensors ? I picked IR because they are the cheapest when it comes to small projects ..
What is the brand and catalog number of your sensors? Do they have a dry contact (relay-type output)? If so, you can run your 24 VDC from the PLC through the dry sensor output and make it work. Otherwise, look for a cheap sensor (reed switch, proximity switch, photoswitch) that can pass 24 VDC.

Because it is after all a student project, I might simply use small cheap pushbuttons or limit switches. Get a heavy metal toy car that will depress the switch when you set it on top!

Last edited:
The problem isn't that you want to use IR sensors. The problem is that the sensors are 5VDC which by themselves won't supply the required voltage to turn on a 24VDC Input.

The relay you have picked out should be fine. It's rated at 5A at 30VDC for inductive loads (like a motor).

Also, looking at the spec sheet, it appears that you can use either current sourcing or current sinking components on the inputs.

Thank you so much for your quick replies !! Can i use a voltage regulator to supply 15V to my motor? So the output of the PLC will go in to a 24VDC relay which will be connected via a voltage regulator to the motor which in turn will control the lift system.

and this relay should be fine right ?
http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/...elays/3860811/

What is the brand and catalog number of your sensors? Do they have a dry contact (relay-type output)? If so, you can run your 24 VDC from the PLC through the dry sensor output and make it work. Otherwise, look for a cheap sensor (reed switch, proximity switch, photoswitch) that can pass 24 VDC.

Because it is after all a student project, I might simply use small cheap pushbuttons or limit switches. Get a heavy metal toy car that will depress the switch when you set it on top!

These are the list of the components I am planning to buy :
IR sensor:- to check presence of an object(car). I couldnt find 24V IR sensors.. They seem to be either very expensive or some websites don't have them at all.. check the following link..

http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=SN-IRS-02&name=IR Sensor Set With Socket

Voltage regulator: - To regulate the output voltage from 24VDC relay and supply to the motor controlling the lift. I have two such motors. So, I need two of these voltage regulators ? It says its only 1A regulator. would that be fine ? too less to drive a 15VDC motor right ?

http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=VR-7815&name=Voltage Regulator +15V

Heat sink: - to control the temp of the voltage regulator.
http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsink-mounting-accessories/2182283/

Motors for Entrance gate/ exit gate:
What type of mechanism / motor should I get ? It should just be able to lift the little door for the car to enter. The dimension of the full design is only 400mm by 400mm and height is 480mm. (Three floors overall)

Relays:- for the two motors that are going to control the lift system and also gates . Would I need a relay for anything else? like controlling LED's , buzzer etc? Non-latching relay should be good enough right ?

SPST-NO : this configuration means I can only use the relay to control one of the outputs right ?

http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/3860811/

Fuse:- For the motors.

How do i choose a fuse for a 15VDC motor ? What are the ratings?

Other Components:
Cable tie
Breadboard
LED
Push buttons
Insulating tape
Aluminium/acrylic glass - to build the actual mechanical design

Yes, that relay should be fine.

A voltage regulator should work, but will produce a LOT of heat. I'm not discounting the idea, I just want you to be aware.

If you're going to purchase a 24VDC Power Supply, maybe take a look for a +/-12VDC supply large enough to give 12 Volts for the motor (I think that would be the nominal voltage of your motor, and would only be a minor change in speed) and 24 Volts for your inputs. Perhaps a reasonable price can be found, and keep your component count low.

I was going to post this earlier, but have been in meetings all afternoon, but EZAutomation has 12mm inductive proximity switches for $9.99US. Unfortunately, If VAT bumps your cost up to $80.00US, then it may not be an option for you.

About your Cytron SN-IRS-02: It is not a complete package but only the IR Transmitter and Receiver. To make it into a complete sensor, you need a 5 volt power supply AND some resistors AND some wire AND a circuit board to mount the components AND some solder AND some skill and knowledge on how to put it together. Here is the tutorial on how to put it together.
http://tutorial.cytron.com.my/2012/09/07/how-to-use-ir-sensor/

The IR sensors are there to basically detect the presence of an object(car) at the entrance and exit gates. Also, IR sensors are used at all the parking spaces available to check if a parking spot is free or not.
How will you do that if each of your IR sensors needs a breadboard to connect the resistors? It seems you will need a very large breadboard if your garage has 15 cars!

Doing all that work may not be much savings in the end after you burn out a few units when you hold your soldering iron on a terminal too long.

OR you can buy those inductive proximity sensors that Jordan recommended from Automation Direct, complete units ready to use (no soldering or assembly required), for about $10 US.

Last edited: