panelview plus 6 600 firmware to 5.1

stu

Hi I have a new hmi which has firmware 6.1 and my runtime is 5.1 how can I put firmware 5.1 on the panelview plus 6 600, and where do I get the firmware from thanks stu

Stu, you cannot downgrade 6.1 to 5.1. PanelView Plus 6 terminals are different than PanelView Plus terminals.

PanelView Plus = 5.1 firmware or lower
PanelView Plus 6 = 6.0 firmware or greater.

Your new terminal with firmware 6.1 should be able to handle a runtime that is any version less than or equal to 6.1. So you can load a runtime that is created as 5.1 and it should run just fine. At least that has been my experience.

Last edited:
dmroeder thanks for that, i am looking at the transfer screen and it will not let me download? the ethernet connection has a yellow ? and it said the destination selected is not a valid FT VIEW ME station destination? any ideas thanks stu

The download utility uses RSLinx Enterprise, which has a card-coded list of device identities it will support.

If you have an older edition of FactoryTalk View and RSLinx Enterprise that doesn't support the newer PanelView Plus 6 firmware, it won't let you use the download utility.

I've heard of people upgrading or even patching RSLinx Enterprise to add new terminal support, but I don't attempt that. I just use an SD card or USB storage to move the *.MER file onto the terminal.

In fact I'm doing that tonight... moving a 5.1 runtime on USB onto a PanelView Plus 6 that's in a sterile room. The bonus is that I can dip that USD drive in isopropyl alcohol a lot more easily than I can sterilize my computer and network cables.

Hi ken thanks for that , if I use a usb do I copy the file from the runtime folder, and once its loaded will it run from start up or power up thanks stu

For the PanelView Plus to see the *.MER file, it needs to be in the "\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\" directory on the USB or SD card.

I know that pre-v6 terminals needed the USB or SD card to be formatted for FAT16, but I recently used an 8GB USD driver formatted for FAT32 and it worked with a PV+6 600.

From that removable storage location, you can use the ordinary PanelView Plus configuration menus. Use the File Management menu to copy the file to Internal Storage, use the Load Application button to load the application into memory, then use the Startup Options menu to configure the terminal to run the application at startup.

You don't get the nice automatic "run project at startup" checkbox that you get with the download utility; you have to configure the startup options yourself.

Always test the power-down and reboot features with a real powerdown and reboot; it's easy to inadvertently miss one of the selection boxes.