PLC and PC

zrawi

It is my first project with siemens WinCC SCADA.. So, could you help me, please?
I have a S7-416 plc and I have to make a visualization on PC (WinCC).
I'm thinking about PLC to PC = ethernet connection.
Do I need some special siemens "network adapter" for PC? or any Hubs or Routers etc..?

Thanks!

Siemens handles ethernet a little differently - at least in teh 300 series, I don't know about the 400. You need commands in both the PLC and the master to do a data exchange.

I suggest you get hold of your local Siemens distributor and ask him for guidance. Siemens does have hubs and so forth, but I don't know if they are required or if generic will work as well.

Thanks for your answer, Tom! :)

I simpley need to know what hardware do I need for my PC to connect to PLC through industrial Ethernet.. :)

hello zrawi;
here is an extract from a communications manual for WinCC pointing out the hardware and software requirements for an Industrial Ethernet connection between a WinCC station and a Siemens PLC.
What you install between the PC and the PLC depends on what network installations you require. A simple cross-cable is sufficient if you have only those 2 bodes; if there are more nodes sharing the network, you will need a hub (or better: a switch). Siemens recomend their ELM, OLM and OSM modules, but standard office-grade equipment will suffice if you are using twisted-pair cabling.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

edit: the manual dates from the year 2000; CP1413 has been replaced since then by CP1613, and the driver is now IE S7-1613.
DC

wincc_ethernet.jpg

Hi! I am a beginner in plc, but I understand the conventional relay ladder logic. I am using mitsubishi FX0 and medoc software. Do you have any programming guide or a pdf file that can help me use the medoc software or start constructing a ladder diagram or a program. Hope you can help me. Thanks