You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread August 23rd, 2017, 08:32 AM   #1
RMore
United States

Micro 820 - 2080-TC2 thermocouple filtering

What's the most effective filter to use for the thermocouple wiring on the input to the 2080-TC2 plugin module on a Micro800 based design?
Unread August 24th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #2
RMore
United States

Additional information: The 2080-TC2 module is intermittently faulting a few times a day, potentially due to a solenoid switching. Most of the time the fault only results in a bad reading or two, however, on a few occasions it has crashed the program resulting in error code F0A1h). I assume that it is noise from one of the solenoids making it's way to the TC module, either thru the power supply or the unshielded TC cable, however, I am not yet able to get it to fail on the bench. Has anyone experienced faults on the TC Module and what was the ultimate fix?
Unread August 24th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Dirt
Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KhqIbwcOhg

http://www.mosaic-industries.com/emb...e-noise-filter

Last edited by Dirt; August 24th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.
Unread August 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #4
RMore
United States

Dirt, Thanks for the replay. Useful information ,however I do not have control over the input circuit design for the module and Rockwell does not provide a schematic. Also, the module does not provide a ground terminal. I was able to determine that the input impedance is roughly 340K with the negative input tied to ground thru a 10K impedance.
Unread August 24th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #5
damica1
United States

Set your data refresh rate to 50 Hz this will help.

Unlocking the power of IOT in Oil & Gas!
Unread August 28th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #6
RMore
United States

Currently my update rate is 16.7Hz I can change it to 50Hz. Can you explain what factors determine the optimum update rate?
Unread August 28th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7
damica1
United States

According to the manual 16.7 Hz refresh rate will result in an accuracy of + or - 1% (Do you really need that tight of results?)

A 50Hz refresh rate will result in a + or - 3% accuracy (This forgives a lot of noise/spikes/Etc..)

You might just try and make sure it works for your needs.

Unlocking the power of IOT in Oil & Gas!
Unread October 9th, 2019, 07:53 AM   #8
RMore
United States

What about ferrites?

Has anyone had any success using ferrites on thermocouple wires to reduce noise spikes getting into the inputs? What about adding a cap or MOV across the input?
Unread October 9th, 2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMore View Post
Additional information: The 2080-TC2 module is intermittently faulting a few times a day, potentially due to a solenoid switching. Most of the time the fault only results in a bad reading or two, however, on a few occasions it has crashed the program resulting in error code F0A1h). I assume that it is noise from one of the solenoids making it's way to the TC module, either thru the power supply or the unshielded TC cable, however, I am not yet able to get it to fail on the bench. Has anyone experienced faults on the TC Module and what was the ultimate fix?
Surge protection on all inductive loads? Will help if this is your problem.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum