You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread August 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #1
newguy937
United States

FactoryTalk View Studio ME Masked Numeric Entry

The title pretty much sums it up, but to elaborate I am using a PanelView Plus 700 and Machine Edition.

I want to have a numeric entry screen that pops up an on screen numeric keypad that will mask the entry.

I would settle for no on screen keypad with just a masked numeric entry and use the physical number pad

Our current method is to use the string entry but since the entry is entirely numeric I would prefer not to have an entire keyboard pop up.

If there is any way to achieve this I would love to know.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
Unread August 7th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #2
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Not sure if it will work for you, but several ways I've handled that are:

1: Set the entry text color to be the same as the background color

2: Set the font size for the entry text to be microscopic

3: (My general favorite) Set the font for the entry text to be something wierd, like a symbolic font, wingdings, emoticons, whatever.

Look First, Ask Second!

Unread August 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #3
cwal61
United States

On String Input Enable Object Select String Tab Then Under String Pop Up Select Scratchpad Then Check Box To Mask Scatchpad. The Scratchpad will require an external keyboard. The Entry's will show as #####. Then Use the Enter Button To Complete Entry.

To Use the Numeric Keypad Rdrast solution's sound cool. I like the (My General Favorite).

Last edited by cwal61; August 7th, 2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
Unread August 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #4
newguy937
United States

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

rdrast- I am unable to change the font type, size or color though that would have worked out great if I could have.

cwal61- Thank you for this suggestion. It worked out quite well. The only difference between your suggestion and how we had been doing this was your suggestion is to only show the scrachpad. I am not sure why I hadn't thought of that before.

Thanks again for you fairly quick replys.
Unread October 9th, 2019, 07:42 AM   #5
alanze
United States

I am basically trying to do the same thing but we don't have an external keypad, we can only use the touchscreen on the HMI. I don't see any way to change the text or font size on the numeric entry. I assume things have changed in factorytalk in the last 5 years. My solution was to create my own keypad out of momentary push buttons and program everything in the PLC. My only problem is that if you try to hit the same number two times in a row it only registers the first one and you have to wait a second to hit it again, or if you hit it three times in a row quickly it only registers 2 entries. This is a mild annoyance so I'm still wondering if anyone has a solution to mask the numeric input enable. Like the original post, we have used string input enable before but we only want to show numbers since all the passwords are numbers and it is faster to type it in on a keypad than a keyboard. Any suggestions?
Unread October 9th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #6
cwal61
United States

There is a hold time on momentary buttons. It defaults to 250ms. So maybe you're pressing more than once in that time frame. It lowest setting is 50ms.
Unread October 9th, 2019, 01:04 PM   #7
alanze
United States

I have it set at 50ms. I've tested with a stopwatch how fast I can start and stop it and lowest I've gotten is 120ms so I feel like the button should be able to handle it fine, but it doesn't. I don't suppose there is a better button for this task? I haven't found one.
Unread October 9th, 2019, 01:58 PM   #8
cwal61
United States

How about the display settings. Screen update rate. It defaults to 1 sec. lowest is .01
Unread October 9th, 2019, 04:49 PM   #9
alanze
United States

I set it to the fastest refresh rate but it didn't help anything
I guess it's just a limit of the button itself
Unread October 10th, 2019, 08:27 AM   #10
cwal61
United States

I made subroutine and a keypad. If your interested. I was able to mask the keypad display. aka. (string display) using an expression. It converts the numbers to string using DTOS and indirect addressing to increment the keystroke into a string. Then converts it back to DINT. I limited it to 9 digits for the password the 10th will show "Invalid Entry"
Here's some pictures of the keypad. The Attached Zipped files are the logic and On Top Display. Both are exported files from the software. RS5000 and FTVME

Keypad.PNG Keypad 1.PNG Keypad 2.PNG
Attached Files
File Type: zip Keypad_Logic.zip (1.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: zip Keypad.zip (1.9 KB, 3 views)
Unread October 10th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #11
alanze
United States

Does yours have the same problem as mine where you can't hit the same number two times a row quickly? If it doesn't then maybe my logic is slowing it down. I can't view your logic as it says "the specified l5x file does not contain a controller export"
Unread October 10th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #12
cwal61
United States

I just exported the subroutine, I would think you should just unzip the file and import the subroutine. Import into a new project that way it will not add tags and the UDT string into your existing project. I did not notice any delays. Here is a picture of the logic in case you can't import. It's only 4 rungs.
Attached Images
File Type: png keypad logic.PNG (41.0 KB, 22 views)
Unread October 10th, 2019, 10:14 AM   #13
alanze
United States

That is much simpler than mine. I can't figure out how to import that factory talk xml to look at the keypad itself. Trying to figure out how you get the numbers from the keypad into the plc
Unread October 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM   #14
alanze
United States

I have never used interlocked pushbuttons before but I will try it. I think I understand it mostly. I will let you know how it goes

Last edited by alanze; October 10th, 2019 at 10:25 AM.
Unread October 10th, 2019, 10:22 AM   #15
cwal61
United States

the Keypad is interlock push buttons with values of 0-9. The Backspace and Enter are momentary BOOL tags.

Once you unzip the keypad, in the FTVME Explorer pane just right click on Displays and select import. Then navigate to the location to select.

Last edited by cwal61; October 10th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum