Compact logix PID problems

darrenj

I have a compact logix processor and i am trying to get a PID instruction to work...

I set up all the relevant data..CV...PV etc etc..i set my loop time to (at the moment whatever!)...i then click the intialise loop...it says running but nothing happens...i close the PID dialog box and open it again and the initialise loop box is de-checked..i also get an error every now and again telling me i cannot set my loop time to 0..even tho it is not..i have tried setting from .03 to 1.0..still wont run....

the rev is 16.0

i tried creating a whole new PID and the same thing happens

thanks

Darren

Thanks Mickey..came across that note before...it seems no matter what i do or in what i order i do it in the loop will not "go"...

i have the exact same setup in control logix and it works great...but some reason compact logix is just not working with me!

Thanks

Darren

Last edited:
Don't like stating the obvious, but are you scanning the PID instruction ?

Like, for instance, there is a JSR to the routine containing your PID instruction, and it is enabled.

In my experience you do not need to "click the intialise loop" on the setup screens, the loop gets initialised by ladder execution.

You could also try an unconditional MOV instruction before the PID to set the loop update time.

Darren, this happens with PIDE (auto mode) in compactlogix V16, if for some reason PIDE output goes down up to zero, sometimes it stays there and never goes up, the solution is go to manual change output to a value different from zero the go back to auto abd everynt starts working once again. This has happened to me at leat 10 times in the different plc's all of the 1769-L32E. It is not related toyour therad but just on case if someone has this problem.

darrenj, don't beat yourself up about this - it's easy done, and now you know, i guess you'll never make the same mistake again....