OT. your health, what do you do?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Health... what do you do to help yourself? These days it seams that I am getting fewer hours of sleep and always on the run (I know I am not the only one)

Last year my father in-law was given weeks to live, so my wife and I had him move into our home and she started to take care of him, after getting him to quit his bad habits and she forced him to live right he is now doing much better, so much that we just flew him back to Portland to see his son. Its been almost two years now.

Shortly after they told me he had 3 weeks to live I started to look at my life style and the **** I was putting into my body (sometimes still do) but I started to eat raw vegetables twice a day (broccoli, carrots, celery and grape tomatoes) this has made me feel much better, I am still only sleeping about 6hrs a night but I am able to consume less caffeine then I once needed in the past just to make it through the day.

Every morning I take 4 fiber pills and one glass of V8 with a small glass of berry juice (pomegranate and berry blend) a milti vitamin

It may be that its all in my mind but the mind is a powerful thing so what ever it takes...

So...what are some of the tips and tricks you guys use to keep you energy up (no drugs) I have thought and heard a lot about fish oil and also vinegar in the news lately anyone use them or any other supplements? Or any other tips or good reading material

I think you are what you eat, but its not easy to make your meals (fresh) every day and eat healthy, I also know there are not many short cuts, but it would be nice to share any or experiences

I think you are what you eat, but its not easy to make your meals (fresh) every day and eat healthy, I also know there are not many short cuts, but it would be nice to share any or experiences you have had.

Also what are others doing on the other side of the pond that we don't?

Last edited:
I run twice a week and have active hobbies on weekends (whitewater and backpacking). Also I try to have quiet time on my deck with my guitar at least once a week. My kids invigorate me also. I quit working at places that want me to give until I can't give anymore, I would rather have a lower lifestyle than be a slave to my lifestyle, but fortunately I have the experience to make decent money without working for slave drivers.

This is not to say I don't pull 18 hour startup days or 70 hour weeks sometimes, but it's all about balance.

I've been a lot more energetic since tweaking my diet and working out regularly, but it's only been a little over a month. I've been doing a regimented heavy weight lifting plan including supplements with my co-workers. It's hard to tell if it's that or my diet shift that induced the more energy and better sleep. I'm planning on shifting to more of a cardio based workout, but for now it's all about having a motivated workout partner!

I do cottage cheese, eggs, oatmeal, or plain yogurt mixed with granola and berries for breakfast. Usually do some amount of flax (or similar Omega 3/6) oil too. I've also been doing the Juice Plus thing.

I think the real secret is to eat small amounts frequently before you get hungry. Have good snacks around: tuna, fruit/veggies, nuts, crackers, etc. Keeping that metabolism going burns more calories and will prevent you from that "food coma" inducing huge lunch out. I also cook extra and bring containers of food for meals or snacks.

To cut the worst offenders, building on Pete's advice, minimize the: saturated/trans/partially hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup - you know the deal.

Most important is to just do it and be reasonably consistent. Everyone has an opinion on the "best" diets or workouts. My opinion is, unless you're training for the Olympics, you can probably come up with a plan that's better than what you're doing. It's not going to hurt anything if your plan is 100% ideal - focus more on following what you have. Tomorrow's a great day to start!

I have always maintained a good diet (thanks to my wife) and I carry that out on the road. I love food, but try to find places like tapas bars where I can get something very good (caprese, oysters on the half shell, etc) in small portions, along with a couple of glasses of wine. Absolutely no fast food at all. I know way too many service guys who have been on the road for 30 years, and they look like hell.

I work out a home, and squeeze whatever I can in when I travel. I do 200 pushups each day (a couple of sets in the morning and a couple at night) and do some pullups wherever there might be some steel bracing in the plants. It's not hard to do something, and it only takes a few minutes each day.

WFR:
Whole
Fresh
Raw
Do these as possible.
Pace yourself while eating.
Cut out the sodas.
I do BJJ 5x a week, lift heavy & run sprints a couple of times a week as well. If you're lucky, you can find something physical that you like to do, & then the only trick is finding time to do it (I have lunch classes 10 minutes away from where I work, every day, very convinient).

Snicker's bars, Granny's frosted sugar cookies, Coca Cola, and Beer.

j/k.

I go to the gym about 3 days a week, and eat a good diet - and try to keep the portions sizes down, most of eat more food than we need. Some exercise and a well balanced diet goes a long way. Simply eliminating those 32 oz big gulps and the evening "cold one" will drop 10lbs in no time at all. Since I spend a good part of my day at a desk I usually hit the gym at lunch time - keeps lunch lighter too.

geniusintraining said:
Health... what do you do to help yourself? These days it seams that I am getting fewer hours of sleep and always on the run (I know I am not the only one)

Last year my father in-law was given weeks to live, so my wife and I had him move into our home and she started to take care of him, after getting him to quit his bad habits and she forced him to live right he is now doing much better, so much that we just flew him back to Portland to see his son. Its been almost two years now.

Shortly after they told me he had 3 weeks to live I started to look at my life style and the **** I was putting into my body (sometimes still do) but I started to eat raw vegetables twice a day (broccoli, carrots, celery and grape tomatoes) this has made me feel much better, I am still only sleeping about 6hrs a night but I am able to consume less caffeine then I once needed in the past just to make it through the day.

Every morning I take 4 fiber pills and one glass of V8 with a small glass of berry juice (pomegranate and berry blend) a milti vitamin

It may be that its all in my mind but the mind is a powerful thing so what ever it takes...

So...what are some of the tips and tricks you guys use to keep you energy up (no drugs) I have thought and heard a lot about fish oil and also vinegar in the news lately anyone use them or any other supplements? Or any other tips or good reading material

I think you are what you eat, but its not easy to make your meals (fresh) every day and eat healthy, I also know there are not many short cuts, but it would be nice to share any or experiences

I think you are what you eat, but its not easy to make your meals (fresh) every day and eat healthy, I also know there are not many short cuts, but it would be nice to share any or experiences you have had.

Also what are others doing on the other side of the pond that we don't?

I discovered Red Bull is a good pick me up on those late night start ups or as a energy boost for my 7:00am workouts.

Also for general health and well being, get a Harley and ride as often as you can. Best thing I ever done.

Its funny..but i dont think about it...
I run on 5-6 hours sleep...never thought about joining a Gym..i eat out more ofter than i eat at home..but i am still 5'10 and 140 lbs..last pysical my doc told me i was fit as a fiddle...told me carry on what i was doing..(of course i got the smoking and drinking lecture)...The difference is i guess i still work on the tools...i am on my feet all day..my last job was a 5 storie building..of course the elevator guys hadnt finished there work...so everything was hummped up the stairs...try bringing 1000' of 2" pipe up 5 flights of stairs..i just laugh when my wife asks me to go to the gym with her and work out on the stair master...:)

darrenj said:
Its funny..but i dont think about it...
I run on 5-6 hours sleep...never thought about joining a Gym..i eat out more ofter than i eat at home..but i am still 5'10 and 140 lbs..last pysical my doc told me i was fit as a fiddle...told me carry on what i was doing..(of course i got the smoking and drinking lecture)...The difference is i guess i still work on the tools...i am on my feet all day..my last job was a 5 storie building..of course the elevator guys hadnt finished there work...so everything was hummped up the stairs...try bringing 1000' of 2" pipe up 5 flights of stairs..i just laugh when my wife asks me to go to the gym with her and work out on the stair master...:)

I take it you are not 50 yet?

Its true what they say about 50, ever since I hit that mark earlier this year, I have noticed a decline in energy, and a midget stowaway clinging to my belly

curlyandshemp said:
I take it you are not 50 yet?

Its true what they say about 50, ever since I hit that mark earlier this year, I have noticed a decline in energy, and a midget stowaway clinging to my belly

50? My stowaway found me when I hit 35.

darrenj said:
i just laugh when my wife asks me to go to the gym with her and work out on the stair master...:)

Smart move, never go to a coed gym with your wife. That would be a hazard to your health.

Mickey said:
Smart move, never go to a coed gym with your wife. That would be a hazard to your health.

LOL...up here its like i would have a choice...you get female only gyms..but very few and far between male only...Plus i like to live on the dangerous side!! I would accept the hazard!

and BTW..i am close to 40...we will see what happens..
\

Wow!!!!!!!!!
According to you guys I should be dead already!!!
Haven't been to the gym in about 20 years or so, smoke 2-3 pcks a day, swear up and down any chance I get, massive amounts of coffee on a daily/nightly basis, get into verbal abuse contests with pretty much everyone who comes up to me and tells me that we don't have much time after they postponed everything and anything for a last minute start up and collect speeding tickets as a hobby!
Sleep??? Do people sleep nowadays?? That's news to me!
Guess I should be crawling back to my grave now!!!!!

bkottaras said:
Wow!!!!!!!!!
According to you guys I should be dead already!!!
Haven't been to the gym in about 20 years or so, smoke 2-3 pcks a day, swear up and down any chance I get, massive amounts of coffee on a daily/nightly basis, get into verbal abuse contests with pretty much everyone who comes up to me and tells me that we don't have much time after they postponed everything and anything for a last minute start up and collect speeding tickets as a hobby!
Sleep??? Do people sleep nowadays?? That's news to me!
Guess I should be crawling back to my grave now!!!!!

Yes, some are like you. Whatever you do don't stop now, the second you do your gone. Its like people that retired after 40 years hard work, one year later they are gone. What happen?