comunication between Barcode scanner and PLC

angi

Hi guys
I got a question about Barcode scanner and PLC:
my SLC 5/04 will send some strings to a PC by using Channel 0, and a Barcode scanner also hook up with the PC.
is that possible to send the barcode information to my PLC, if could, how to do it?

Thanks

Angi,

Using a communications protocol (RS-232, Devicenet, Ethernet, or some other) that is compatible with both your bar code scanner and your PLC, connect a cable between the two. Then write PLC ladder rungs to read the bar code data into PLC memory.

thanks Lancie
there is a cable between PLC and PC, and I also could send string from PLC to PC, and how to send my barcode information from PC to PLC using the same cable?

First, we would have to know what the cable is communicating (what communications protocol it is using).

Do you have any information about this cable. Is it a shielded cable, or a twisted pair?

One way to transfer data from a PC to a SLC 5/04 PLC is with a MOV command. The MOV in Rung 001 uses indirect addressing to determine the memory location of the data being moved from the PC to the PLC.

Barcode PC to PLC.jpg

Last edited:
Is There currently data going from the PC to the PLC? Is There data only going from the PLC to the PC? If you only have data in one direction this is an easy problem to fix if it is going in both directions. It will make it a little tougher for you.

First look and see if data is going both directions.

Jeff,Lancie
there is data from PLC to PC using Channel0 of PLC and USB port of PC.
Is it possible to transfer data form PC to PLC using the same cable.

I do not know the protocol of the scanner, just normal Motoroal barcode scanner.

Jeff,Lancie
there is data from PLC to PC using Channel0 of PLC and USB port of PC.
Is it possible to transfer data form PC to PLC using the same cable.

Can't see a reason there wouldn't be. The communication link between the PLC and PC should be a two way street.

You'll have to program or configure the PC to send the barcode data to the PLC when it receives it from the scanner. Then you'll have to program the PLC to receive the message and interpret it.

Those are vague, general instructions, but you've given a rather vague description of the application. We'd really need to know what software is running on the PC that is receiving data from the PLC and what protocol it's using to get any more specific.

the barcode information just could be displayed on Notepad, and the strings from PLC also could displayed on Notepad, how to send the barcode infor on the notepad to PLC?

Thnaks

my SLC 5/04 will send some strings to a PC by using Channel 0, and a Barcode scanner also hook up with the PC.
I do not know the protocol of the scanner, just normal Motorola barcode scanner.
The Motorola barcode scanner will have hardware and software to send data directly to the SLC 5/04. You need to download a copy of the Motorola User Manual and find out what method it uses to communicate with the PLC.

I could send barcode data from Barcode Scanner to PLC, but I do not know how to make the data transfer to PLC through PC by same cable.

Thanks

Angi,

You probably won't be able to do a thrid-party transfer, without more information. Unless the PC is running some program that allows passing data from the barcode scanner through PC to PLC, then you are out of luck.

It is more likely that it is possible to do it the other way: Barcode scanner to PLC to PC. But then you do have to have complete information on all 3 pieces of equipment in order to figure out how to do that.