Codesys

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all

We have started a project with Codesys and I would like to know what people think of it. I would like to hear both good and bad points ,
We have just started this project and are open to given a real try to see if it is the way forward

Thanks agin in advance

Donnchadh

Of the integrators I know who have used it none go out of their way to use it a second time. It is okay for an OEM who can develop once then clone, but not very good when every project needs to start at ground zero.

YMMV :)

ABB use Codesys for their PLC's, I used it for the first time recently and loved it, It's powerful, easy to use, easy to debug and economical. It's main downside for me is if your PLC program doesn't match the controller you have to download to go online. There is no upload.

Andy

First off, which Version? V2.3 or V3.0?

CoDeSys V3.0 has moved very heavily in the IT direction and has a pretty high learning curve - which is probably why, although it's been on the market for a few years, the manufacturer take-up has been very slow up to now.

V2.3 is a lot easier - pure IEC. For me the main plus point is also its biggest negative - ST can be easily viewed on line, unfortunately this seems to lead to a lot of people (particularly young engineers just out of uni) programming everything in ST, which is not ideal for debugging or troubleshooting. This is probably not helped by the fact that the Function Block programming is definitely a bit wierd. When you're new to it it's not always intuitively obvious where you need to click to add a new in- or output, this isn't helped by the fact that you can get the feeling that you have to get the mouse on exactly the correct pixel to get the required effect - not easy on a full HD screen. I must admit I also don't find the FB representaion as pleasant to look at, particularly on line, as the Siemens version.

That said, the SW itself is solid and in general easy to use. The biggest challenge for newcomers is getting used to the "target" system by which the program is mapped to the desired HW - over 300 companies (290 of which probably nobody's ever heard of!) use CoDeSys for their PLCs. This means you can develop a programme and then use cheaper HW for a relatively undemanding environment and take the same programme into a harsh environment using the (more expensive) hardware from a completely different manufacturer, without having to change one line in your programme.

look at the codesys site for the big number of system integrators who are using codesys.
The pro is that is very 61131.
it runs on many platforms, is very easy to learn, and the development is free (you can download it free, only when you buy a PLC you must have a registered version about 400 euro.
due to the 6 languages you can make almost anything.
there is also a big library with all sorts of functions, www.oscat.de (english available)
they have a forum join it.
and yes i will help you.

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback.
I do think not been able to Upload is a major draw back. I will come back when the project is done to give my feed back.

Donnchadh

Hi Donnchadh,

1st of all - Open - same package for a bazzillian PLCs. We've used it for WAGO, Beckhoff, ABB, and IFM. This is a huge plus.
2nd of all - Open - Shooter mentioned OSCAT - DEFINITELY check this out.
3rd of all - Open - Lots of libraries for all kinds of stuff.
Price - No comparison to the big-boys. Package is low-cost and at least for WAGO you pay once per site.
Structured text is excellent.
It supports real pointers too.
Great for writing protocols - real ring buffer for data I/O. Easy to develop TCP/IP protocols too.
Did I mention that there's an SQL library so that you can read/write to MS-SQL or MySQL.
And how about emails and http?

Drawbacks - No upload. If you didn't keep a backup then you'll have to download to the controller.

Good luck

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

The good, old method was to keep a diskette with the newest valid backup in the plc cabinet. What about a usb memory stick?
icon12.gif

yosi Any newer PLC can not upload (never the source)
older ones were able to upload their ladder but the newer ones are always compiled.
a lot faster running programs and extensive documentation possible.

and yes kalle i always give them a stick with everything on it, even the software needed to change.
i do not mind if they copy it, i like it as they will have to come to me as they will encounter problems they dont have a solution.

yosi Any newer PLC can not upload (never the source)
older ones were able to upload their ladder but the newer ones are always compiled.
a lot faster running programs and extensive documentation possible.

Hi Shooter - Sorry. You can definitely upload from A-B, Schneider, Siemens, etc...

I know that A-B micro-compiles their code. Not sure how the others do things. Siemens probably stores everything in IL (and of course without documentation...). I remember with Schneider (concept 2.6) you could upload as well.

What we do is waste some memory space on the controller itself. As I said we use WAGO. When working with the Perspecto (A controller I LOVE) or the 750-880 (and now the 885) we use install an SD on the controller and then down-load the source. We can do this with all of the controllers but the larger the backup the less memory is left for application backup (the default file).

Cheers,

(Yosi)

Hi Kalle.

Yes. The visualization is integrated. With the integral CANOpen it's a wonderful little box. WAGO also recently published a library for the VISU graphics. I also wrote some code to copy the Reichard objects I want into CoDeSys. All-in-all I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

(Yosi)

But you cant upload? Is that true? How does that help me? The guy that keeps **** running...

That is exactly the problem with this package. We have a contract to upgrade some equipment in an ice cream plant full of Wago PLCs using CodeSys. The original integrator is notorious for not providing documented PLC code or upto date backups.
Ended up we had to blow out the Wago and put Contrologix with Wago EtherNetIP bus couplers as we could not get online and use existing code.
Customer hated the idea of being hooked with a control system like that so he wanted Clgx in and paid the price.