Virtual XP machine and SSD drive.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm planning on buying a new laptop with a SSD drive, and I was wondering if it would be a problem to run a XP virtual machine on it (VMWare).
I heard that there can be some compatibility issues between XP and SSD drives, at least running XP directly (not virtually) on the SSD drive.
If anybody has experienced any problems, please let me know, so I can reconsider buying the SSD drive computer.

Thank you!

My new laptop has a SSD drive. I run VMWare Workstation 10 and have no issues. I even run some of my larger VMs from an external ESATA connected drive. No issues with it.

If the XP is installed in a virtual machine, it doesn't matter if you have a conventional drive, a SSD, or a fluxcapacitor installed in the host machine. VMWare makes a file on the host machine's filesystem and uses that files as a virtual hard disk, so it is hardware independent.

Perhaps what you've heard about problems with XP and SSDs is the fact that XP doesn't recognise SSDs for what they are and by default XP has automatic defragmenting enabled. If you fit an SSD in an XP machine and don't disable the defragmentation then your SSD will have a lifetime of a few months at best before it dies from being written to too often!

So long as you observe this precaution you'll have no problems with SSDs and virtual machines (or anything else for that matter!).

Interesting. So I would imagine that an XP VM is also doing the auto defrag as well. Ill have to check into this one. I have not heard of this before.

Thanks

That would make sense. An XP VM doing a defrag would do a lot of writes. It would be more on a file level (the virtual drive) than the entire disk, but wear is wear.
Otherwise, the host will take care of any trimming and garbage collection.

Looking at purchasing the VM wear and then dowload the converter software in order to take my old XP machine and run it as a Virtual machine on my newer win 7 machine.
The problem i had and the reason i am looking at doing this is that i had all kinds of issues with the simenes tia portal v13 software trying to communicate to s7-1200 plc and basic panel.
came down to fact that for some reason the siemens did not like the nortons software. After uninstalling the nortons just to test i am not able to connect to a plc and hmi as long as i know what the ip address of the simens plc and hmi is. If i try a brand new plc the software will never find it. has something to do with the Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) service , which is something i do not fully understand.
After i create the virtual machine on my new win 7 machine that will have the corporate Nortons antivirus software and i install the siemens tia portal v13 on the virtual machine and select to run it, will i still have issues with not being able to communicate?