Viewing files on Autocad

Today I was greeted with a message saying that I cannot view AutoCAD files due to a message saying: "This file was created with a newer version of AutoCAD". The AutoCAD window will then show an unresponsive blank white screen, which I have to use task manager to close said screen.

The weirdest part of this is that I was working on the CAD project yesterday using the same exact CAD file :)scratch:). I saved my progress and was planning on finishing it today. I checked Autodesk to see if I needed an update, and the website showed I am up to date. I also tried restarting my computer and the AutoCAD software.

Sorry this is not a PLC question.

Thank you

I can only think of the following reasons.

1. Someone else opened the file with a newer version of autocad and failed to save it as your version.

2. someone opened the file with another type of cad software and did not save it to your version or it does not save to autocad format.

3. unlikely, but the file may have save incorrectly.

4. look for your backup file (name.bak) and copy it to a new location and rename it. open the file and see if you can keep using the file and redo some of the work, hopefully not much rework.

good luck,
james

As an alternative to Draft Sight, you can get AutoCad's DWG Trueview for free and it will also convert file versions. I'm still using AutoCad 2000 for drawings, it doesn't have all of the 3d stuff that I don't use anyway. Solidworks for 3d though.