Siemens CPU Change

randy

Supporting Member
I'm interested in changing a Siemens 315 2DP to a 315 2PN/DP. I want to maintain the existing DP network. I want just to gain the availability to the Profinet port. Also the program would stay the same for now.

Any experiences feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks
-Randy

That seems a simple enough change.

Take the program for the current PLC (I assume it is in Step7). Open the hardware configuration.
Right click on the PLC and an option to Replace should appear. Use that to select the right processor and hardware.
I believe the configuration you have remains the same, except for the Profinet. One thing that may happen is that the PLC will require additional space in the rack that you'll have available... in which case you'd have to shift the modules down one slot.

I haven't done this on TIA Portal, but suppose it will be similar.

The current 315-2PN/DP is 1 slot wide (about an inch?). I was actually assuming the older unit would be the bigger one.

As long as you're using the one DP port on the old unit, it should be a pretty seamless transition. No program changes, just the HW.

The current 315-2PN/DP is 1 slot wide (about an inch?). I was actually assuming the older unit would be the bigger one.

As long as you're using the one DP port on the old unit, it should be a pretty seamless transition. No program changes, just the HW.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. In terms of physical space in the rack, it should be fine.
However, there is always the possibility that the new PLC requires more than one position in the logical rack that is configured in the hardware config program.
I wouldn't say that is the case for any of the 315 processors, but it can happen.

The 315-2DP cannot be replaced by a 315-2DP/PN as the interfaces are different. Delete the 315-2DP cpu (don't delete the program) and insert a 315-2DP/PN instead. Re-connect the orphaned DP network. Copy the saved blocks/symbols to the new CPU

Here's the list of replacement CPU's using Simatic Manager V5.5

315.jpg