Replace PV600 with DH+ with What? Opinion?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a chance to try something new now that the venerable PV600 had finally died.

I hear lots of good about the crimson series but I don't see a DH+ comm option available. I am using the DF1 port of the PLC5 for telemetry so DH+ is all thats left.

The PLC that will someday also be replaced replaced will be Ethernet so I would need to have that in place as well.

I have to replace over 30 of these and I would like to standardize on an HMI. This is my chance to test one out but DH+ is my limiting factor.

Thoughts?

I think that even A/B has discontinued support for DH+ on the PV+. At one time, Cutler Hammer licensed DH+ from Rockwell to make an adapter for the PanelMate and so did EzTouch. I expect those are no longer available new either.

So your best option for migration might be to use a gateway from Equustek or Prosoft and get a Red Lion HMI. I am sure that the cost will be significant.

I remember complaining to Cutler Hammer about the DH+ adapter for their Panelmates costing over $800 and they explained to me that Rockwell gets about $750 as a licensing fee. That was around 2001.

If you need trending, data logging, or emails, don't use a Kadet, spring for a Graphite or G3.

http://www.equustek.com/eq7000-ethernet-ip-to-dh-gateway/

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/P...-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway

Last edited:
HI,
You will like the RedLion HMI, Not sure what Telemetry is but, can you move it off the serial port somehow? If so, you could hook the new HMI up to that port for now & switch to Ethernet later on. I don't see any other option unless the PLC & HMI have RIO, which is a pain & would only be temporary also.

BD

I second the Equustek solution. I have used several of the DL3500s for DF1 serial to DH+ and they have proven very reliable.

You can consider a Windows based solution for an HMI. It offers a lot more options than proprietary hardware based HMIs and won't get you stuck again in an obsolete piece of hardware in the near future because of the ability to switch to another vendor's panel and still run the same software. When compared to the more common HMI panels, they can also be about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost. Comparing a 15" Panel PC for about $1500 to a PanelView for over $3000.

2711P-RN6 is still listed as an active product, and will work with Panelview Plus 6 series for DH+ access. I believe it will not work with PV+7 or PV 5500. A Panelview Plus DH+ application should migrate easily to a PV+6 Ethernet application if talking to the same PLC. A PV+6 Ethernet application should migrate to PV+7 or PV5500 (with different panel cutouts).

ATS took over Eaton's Panelmate series, and still sells Power Pro 1700, 5000, and ePro. They will still sell an AceleratI/On module for 1700 and 5000. As I recall the module is physically identical, but they charge more for the 5000 because Rockwell charges more licence fees. While the Panelmate is a good product in ways, it would be crazy to chose it for new installations.

I've had limited experience with Red Lion, but the terminal was lightning fast to boot, and the software was easy to figure out to make modifications.

EZAutomation's EZTouch Supports DH+ and Remote I/O. EZAutomation had been grandfathered into the protocol years back so all the products support DH+. Also since you mention eventually the plant will shift to Ethernet I/P, the EZTouch also in the same model supports Ethernet I/P, so it will be good for current PLC5 setup as well when your plant moves to Compact/ControlLogix.

PV600 replacement from EZAutomation.net is also cost effective at $1499. Software is also inexpensive and simple mapping at $99 with no licenses

http://www.ezautomation.net/ez3series/ez3series-dhplus-remoteio.htm

Last edited:
Use a 1756-EN2T and 1756-DHRIO, and choose a HMI that has PLC5 drivers that you can passthrough via ethernet. You will need to run an ethernet network, but hey you were going to do that anyway right?

Hmmm, that DH+ is turning out to me more trouble than I thought. I am aware of the DL3500, they had a different company name when I looked into them but seemed like a good solution. Its only a PV600, not a plus, and its a PLC5 and serial port is dedicated to telemetry and that can't change, so a couple solutions recommended wont work on this older hardware.
Maybe I'm stuck with an Ebay run till I can change it all out together.

Hi Waterboy,
Will you consider the EZAutomation solution? It will talk DH+ over blue hose to the PLC5. I have some major automotives using it in the same application. You will not need to use a "refurbished" EBay unit. Instead it will be a new unit with 4 year warranty and a LED backlight as opposed to the CCFL on PV600. We can arrange a trial unit for proof of concept. I guarantee you will be satisfied.

If you are interested, please contact me directly.

-Vikram

Hi Waterboy,

I can appreciate the fact that you would think the EZAutomation products could be less durable seeing the "price tag". However, you will be surprised how robust "low cost" can really be. Also I will let you know these are 100% Made in the USA and undergo special HALT-HASS Testing which takes the panel from -20C to 60C and put on extreme vibration to test thermal and vibration shock. They are all NEMA 4/4X.

On the other hand, if you are looking for Class I, Div II, IP67, Built-like a Tank Products, Uticor Technologies offers an even more rugged model with Optically isolated Supply Ports, COM ports, Conformal Coating etc.. Of course the price on these units are more expensive but still considerably less than AB. Just some food for thought, but depending on your environment, I think EZTouch will be more than sufficient.

-Vikram

Vdids85 - Do I understand right that only the Uticor line is a direct replacement for the PV600? And only that line allows a direct import of the 600's pva file?