PLC 5/25 download program

kongshitt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Im not sure what all im missing here guys, but I have a machine down.

My options are 9 pin (DH+ ???) and 3 wire (blue hose)

I cant find a working connection with my USB to 9 pin.

I dont have the right PCMK cable

Are there any "make my own cable" options?

The DIN 9 connector is the controller's Serial RS232 port which supports the DF1 communications protocol -Channel 0

The upper 3-pin terminal is the DH+ communications interface - Channel 1A

The lower 3-pin terminal is the RIO communications port - Channel 1B ; this port is used exclusively for remote I/O control.

You will need a USB-to-Serial adapter with a 1747-CP3 cable to connect to Channel 0; I'd recommend Keyspan High-Speed USB/Serial Adapter, USA-19HS
See attachment for cable pinout.

You will need a USB-to-DH+ adapter (1784-U2DHP) to connect to the controller's Channel 1A port.

1747-CP3.jpg

Ok, so I have my USB to serial on com4 - and the CP3 cable plugged in to the serial side. I had to use a gender changer to physically plug the cable in.

In RS linx I configure my driver for a RS232 DF1
Com 4
auto config

gives me a packet timeout

The PLC-5/25 processor does not support RS232.
Your only choice is DH+, the 9 pin and 3 pin connector are in parallel, the 9 pin is for the terminal connection, the 3 pin for daisy chaining the blue hose.

The PLC-5/25 processor does not support RS232.
Your only choice is DH+, the 9 pin and 3 pin connector are in parallel, the 9 pin is for the terminal connection, the 3 pin for daisy chaining the blue hose.

Yep...You will need a USB-to-Serial and a 1770-KF2 DH+ to Serial console adapter...You will be using a 1784-CP cable...Pinout attached...It's been a while...

A-B_CP_Pinout.gif

Last edited:
online literature for the 1784 u2dhp specifically says it cant connect to a plc 5/25.

Looks like my only option at this point is a pcmk cable

online literature for the 1784 u2dhp specifically says it cant connect to a plc 5/25.

FYI

Its the cable that won't work, but you can get an adapter. See link..

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1784-u2dhp-dh-adapter-plc5-1784-pcm6-1784-pcm5/

From the manual..

IMPORTANT The cable will not connect to Classic PLC-5 processors, such as
PLC-5/10, PLC-5/12, PLC-5/15, and PLC-5/25, without an adapter.
An adapter can be purchased separately from third-party
companies.

Last edited:
See attachment.
The connector you have highlighted is not used for the DH connection. I heard somewhere in the dim past that that connector was for a 'monitoring' function which was never realized. I have only ever seen and used the 15-pin port (labeled DATA HIGHWAY) to connect to DH.

1770-KF2

1770-kf2.PNG

Last edited:
He dont have a KF2. He dont have anything apart from a serial cable.

Possible solutions:
1. "pass-through" via other PLCs which are reachable via RS232/DF1 and that have a DH+ port. I.e. SLC5/04 or enhanced PLC5.
2. New communication adapter u2DHP. Cost around 2000 USD.
3. Second hand u2DHP. Cost around 1000 USD.
4. New 3rd party USB-to-DH+ adapter (HERE). Cost around 1000 USD.
5. A complete Controllogix rack with ethernet and DHRIO module.
6. Other possibilities such as KF2 and PKTX are either discontinued or in "legacy" status, meaning you have to buy on the aftermarket.

IMO, the time and money sunk into such an obsolete PLC is a waste. Unless it cannot be helped, the real solution is to replace the entire PLC5 with something up-to-date.

I've used a powered off PLC-5 Enhanced processor as an adapter. On channel 1A, connect U2DHP mini-din. To the linked Channel 1A pheonix connector run blue hose to the pheonix connector of the PLC5/25.

1756-DHRIO also has the linked mini-din and pheonix connector, though if you had one of those, you could drill down from a CLGX chassis (through an Ethernet card, through a serial port on a L6 processor, though a USB port on any of their newer cards).