absolute encoder and compact logix...

darrenj

I have an automation direct absolute encoder and need to connect it to a compact logix processor, I see the HSC will not support absolute so i see 2 options,
SSI card
or
Wire the encoder to a fast speed input card (1769-IQ16F)

i would prefer to use the IQ16F but am unsure how to connect my encoder to the inputs...

any thoughts??

Thanks

Darren

EDIT.....part number for encoder is TRD-N720NWD
720 pulse per rev, 10bit grey code

Typically, an absolute encoder will connect to multiple points on a standard DC input card.

http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/encodermda.pdf

A 10 bit encoder would occupy ten input points, and you simply convert that group of bits to its decimal equivalent.

I'd suggest that you wire the encoder to the first ten inputs of the card to avoid having to shift the bits over. With ten bits, you can do a MVM (Masked Move) to get only the ten bits you are concerned with into an integer all by itself. Since yours is gray code, there will be some further conversion required.

I believe there may be a built in or add on instruction to do this for you.

Paul