High Speed PLC

Exabyte

Hi Everybody,

Am looking for a high speed low cost PLC, nearing PC speed. Need to be able to fire a solenoid every 3ms or faster. Two digital inputs and two outputs. Any ideas would be great.

Last edited:
What I am trying to get at is a bottle knock off with capability north of 2000bpm. We currently have solenoids and cylinders that are capable. We want a low cost unit that will be stand-alone. What might actually be best is a purely Boolean controller.

Are you talking about operating a solenoid valve? Or is it a coil for a buck/boost converter?

For the first case, recheck your requirements. Solenoid valves do not act that fast.

For the second case, you better control it with dedicated electronics, not with off-the-shelf PLC cards.

Well, ExaByte, when I started to type my answer above, I didn't see your last comment. Now my response is useless.

Yes, a Boolean processor should be the solution. You may also try the PWM output feature of Siemens S7-1200.

Last edited:
VoltSmith,

Yep, my bad, we are looking at firing a solenoid every 30ms not every 3ms. We we have this working with a AB L35E we just want to go with a cheaper stand-alone unit.

5730 CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B (24 VDC Onboard I/O) $1430 List.
The onboard I/O have user selectable RPIs from 1 to 750 ms (0.5 ms increments).

If you need low-cost does it have to be an AB ? I have to laugh at that 1430$ 'low price'.

A dare say that 30 ms cycle can be achieved by almost _any_ PLC nowadays.
Just as an example an S7-1200 for around 300$ has cyclical interrupts that can easily be set to 30 ms or lower.

If you need low-cost does it have to be an AB ? I have to laugh at that 1430$ 'low price'.

A dare say that 30 ms cycle can be achieved by almost _any_ PLC nowadays.
Just as an example an S7-1200 for around 300$ has cyclical interrupts that can easily be set to 30 ms or lower.

It still is less than half of the "original" L35E; switching platforms for "financial" reasons is fine as long as you do not believe in "This day and age,you get what you pay for "...I personally do believe it...:D
By the way, my A-B rep quoted the 5730 L16 at $980.

If it is a bottle line, will this 30-msecond-output-PLC have to do anything else other than knock off bottles? Those other functions might need a little attention also.

Last edited: