S7-300 and using a pcmcia CP5511

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here is the scenario, recently my laptop had virus/worm issues so I have reformatted and just today got all the programs reinstalled and all associated authorizations. I have an IBM 390 300 mhz with 64 meg ram and running Windows 98SE.

Tonight I got called in for a problem with a machine that has an S7-314IFM as Master, 312 as slave and an OP7. All the voltages, connections, devices seemed to be operating correctly. I could get inputs from various switches but no action. To give background the Slave processor is not needed for standard running, its there for a secondary function..ie nothing I have found indicates the Master needs the slave to run altho I have never disconnected one to verify. Likewise the OP7 is needed to set parameters in the Master but there is no indication that it HAS to be connected once any parameters are entered.

Anyway this is not the first time one of these plc's have not functioned properly so I concluded it was the program or plc that had a problem. I connected to a spare plc and attempted to download the program (I have 12 of these machines that are identical and all 12 programs on disks), it seemed to download but as usual since all 3 items werent connected I got an address error message once download was complete (this has happened before when programming one of the devices alone).

Now comes the strange part, I attempted to connect to the problem PLC to reinstall the program and SIMATIC just froze. After several attempts I swapped plc's and tried the new one, it wasnt right so I attempted to connect to it and SIMATIC froze. Naturally I made several attempts.

I have found nothing so far that shows a problem external to the plc..ie an input etc but will check more tomorrow.

My question is has anyone using a CP5511 pcmcia card and Simatic S7 ever had a problem connecting to download/upload or even Display Accessible Nodes? I have checked the Siemens database on issues with Win98, CP5511. It seems there are some issues with an Ethernet card especially a 3COM which I do have and it was in but not being used. Tomorrow I will try again without the 3COM card in.

ANYWAY, have any of you had to suffer thru any issues similar this? I know its hard to state much without being familiar with the machine but any info you have pertaining to this may be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I read that it needs to be in first slot, has issue(s) with 3com net cards and especially on IBM.

Well I took the 3com out, put it in first slot but still had same problem. I overlooked one major factor.

By default Siemens S7-300 come new out of the box set for 187.5k with MPI, for some reason with this new one I had to change my PG/PC interface to 19.2. Needless to say it then would not work with any of the S7's but what got me lost was that it didnt time out and give me an error message, the program just stopped responding. I reset the PG/PC Interface to 187.5k and all was well again, kinda.

The machine still didnt work right so took my time to check everything. Had a bank of air solenoid valves checked, they were a mess, no gaskets and bent connectors (second shift had changed this). Still have a problem (just less than before)but went thru all the Inputs (again) and found a photoelectric sensor working backward...wired for light operate but acting in dark operate mode, changed it and now machine is running and all is right again, for them.

Thanks

cp5511

Is it possible to make a connection PC<-->PLC without the PC adapter using the CP5511 with the CP5511 hw adapter instead ?