Pico Controller

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has Anybody had any experience with the Pico controller. 1760-L12AWA
I have to set up a few machines.
I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has used them, before I go with the Pico, or anything else similar.
Thank-You
George Bradley

Programmed one . Very basic, the manual is good - nothing comes to mind to tell you or warn you about.
Very powerful for the product.
I am assuming your going to program through the keypad?
The software is actually free but the cable isn't. Depending if they are all the same it may be worth it to purchase. I'm assuming that your using the ab pico.
Someone told me that this is actually made by another manu. and they have an identical but cheaper item.

Drewcrew6

I have used the Pico on one project. I found them to be powerful but slightly confusing to program. The biggest trouble comes from the Timers. There are 4 types and there functions are not quite like the timers used in AB PLC’s. Pico timers do not have EN, TT, DN bits. Each timer can only perform only one of these functions. In short, if you are used to AB PLC’s you will have to modify your thinking a little, but for the price they are a good choice for many applications.

drewcrew6 said:
Someone told me that this is actually made by another manu. and they have an identical but cheaper item.
Yup, the Pico is the same as the Moeller 'EASY'

Here's a LINK for more info...

Check HERE for a programming tutorial. Should be applicable to the Pico as well...

I'm interested to try one of these, but I haven't had an application with that few I/O yet!

beerchug

-Eric

I believe that the Siemens Logo and Mitsubishi Alpha are also made by the same company.
Telemecanique (Square D) also has a like item.

Pico

Thanks for the reply's.
I have about 40 machines to set up. I think that I'll just buy one Pico with the LCD screen and program the flash. The rest of the Picos can all be plain old controllers without LCD screens. I can burn the program into these using the eeprom.

The Pico is a Moeller Easy. One thing to keep in mind is that AB does not have access to all easy product. Moeller has some Easy's that are expandable and a new unit coming in the fall that is networkable "EasyNet". I have used quite a few and they are great. I am doing 2 systems right now. One thing to keep in mind is it is not a PLC and should not be programmed as one. :)

I found that when I programmed the Easy if I programmed in the same manner as when I programmed a PLC I had trouble getting things to work out. When I stopped thinking PLC, things started to jell. It probably dosn't make any sense but its something I had to work through. I have done a bit of air relay logic and when I started thinking in those lines things started to work. Pretty bad explaination I know but it is a different system. I realy like the Easy and in the proper application it performs beautifully.

I use the Telemecanique Zelio-Logic relay. It programs very easily from the on-board keypad as well as with the computer software.

It has a relatively limited logic capability when compared to a PLC.
60 lines of code on small unit, 80 lines on large one
3 contacts in series plus coil
8 counters
8 timers
4 7-day time clocks with 4 ranges each
15 internal relay coils
It does not have "transitional" or one-shot inputs or coils.
No math

Within these limitations it is every bit as powerful as any Nano size PLC. I use them whenever a system requires a couple of timers and simple interlocking.

Yes you can. There is no difference between a Pico and an Easy. A Pico is an Easy. Moeller makes both and they put AB's name on it. If you compare the Pico User Manual and the Easy manual they are the same manual except one is on AB's letter head.