Micro820 aka disaster

HawkEye87

Hi guys

I am new to the threads and relatively new to the world of PLC programming.

During a recent programming session, I was using the Micro820 in DHCP mode when I blindly tried to configure a static IP address. In doing so and while connected, I managed to remove all IP address settings from the controller and now I can not connect, the ENET light is not showing any signs of life when I plug in (it should show green even without config) and windows diagnostics is telling me that my device does not have IP config.

While connected through DHCP, I changed my computers adapter settings to suit the 169.254.xxx.xxx address, then I changed the DHCP setting on CCW controller options while also unchecking the Port settings Disable button.

I have read that I can communicate with the controller through USB, but the recommended route is to use the LCD add-on.

Can somebody tell me if there is another way to connect directly through the comms port. Thanks!!

Thanks Tarik1978

But I have previously used this controller with know problems and I understand the connection process, somewhat.

Now I am looking at a re-config through RS232 DF1

I really do not understand why the controller is giving this problem

Thanks for the reply

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Generally I set up my computer for a static IP address first, then use DHCP to get an address into the controller temporarily. As you've seen, leaving your computer in DHCP mode and allowing it to fall back to an automatic private IP address (the 169.254.x.x) can leave you chasing your tail.

I independently went searching for the Wilborne video on YouTube because it's so instructional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpkNAhnmCQ

But it's probably easiest to set that aside.

If you have genuinely disabled the controller's Ethernet port (I did not realize that was possible) then the best way to get it reset is to connect to the RS-232 port.

It's a screw-terminal port but if you have an RS-232 port available (built in or USB adapter) you can simply cut the end off a cable, verify the pins 2,3,5 conductors, and wire it in.

Thanks Ken

I have verified that I have indeed disabled the ethernet port, through using a different cable and also using a different laptop.

Great way to finish off a Saturday night!!

Tomorrow I will have a crack at the RS232 config, I have a couple of cables around somewhere.

Thanks for the reply

Here is a very simple way of resetting the IP address of the Micro800 series Plc's with ethernet.

Get an SD Card, format.

Now with wordpad create a file called "configmefirst.txt"

This file should contain these lines.

[PM]
[IPA=192.168.2.101]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=192.168.2.1]
[END]

Copy this file to the SD card and insert into the plc then reboot the Micro it will now be programmed to the new IP address.(Be sure to remove SD after)

Be sure to follow all spacing as it is shown, if a single space is different it will not work.

Hi Guys

I have successfully regained Ethernet comms!! I ended up using the rs-232 protocol.

Damica1 : I did try your method first but no joy, I entered the text word for word and also found a slight variation of your script on Rockwell support, but neither worked after repeated re-boots and new .txt files. I am eager to use this method in the future so I will try to set a new IP now that I have re-enabled my Ehternet port.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I can return the favour one day!!