RSLogix 5 - Blank Usage File - WTF?

Lakee911

Hey,

I've got a PLC-5 program that I'm trying to view in RsLogix 5 and I can see that I've I (I1) and O (O0) registers in the logic, but when I go to view the usage it's all blank (just a bunch of . . . . . . . . . . .). When I look at the data file, I see a bunch of 1s and 0s. They're obviously being used. Why is it not showing up?

Thx,
Jason

They could be used as words and not bits, look on the left side of the usage file under FW column and see if you see W

No, doesn't appear to be any of that going on either. Please see attached screen cap.

I feel really dumb ... can't find anything like this online (tough to search for too) and I can't fix it!

Capture.JPG

What happens if you right-click on one of the used addresses (e.g., I:021/0) in the Usage box and select Find All? Does it find the usage on the rung you have displayed?

Problem solved. Closed the file, tried another file (usage data showed up fine), and then reopened the problematic file and everything was good! Ha. Must be a bug...

Thanks!

This Rockwell KB article might be relevant to your situation:

RSLogix 5 7.30.10 (CPR9) Patch for Data Files not showing usage information accurately until going offline

Access: Everyone

The patch description does not indicate it fixes this particular symptom ("." instead of "X") in usage. But it does seem to match a couple aspects: you don't have a file description for I1 (usually "INPUT") and it looks like you might be working from an upload.

Worth a try if the version matches your RSL5 installation.

If not, I would go down the path of trying to fix RSL5 by (1) ctrl-shift on start, (2) Windows "repair" of RSL5 install, then (3) uninstall/reinstall RSL5.

To me it sounds like Logix is broken, or the bug mentioned above applies. I could not find any kind of display option that would mask the "X" symbols in the example screenshot.