Dongle Under WinXP

criggz

Hello im after some information about using dongles under WinXP

we use old Square D PLC's at work and the old Symate program does not seem to pick up the hardware dongle when installed on newer systems running WINXP pro?? has anyone got any ideas on maybe some configurations?

and or maybe what type of dongles are actually used for the old Square D software. so i could find i baypass for them as this would be all that "illegal" as im pretty sure Square D are no longer really around (other then Schnider?) and we do own the dongles just trying to get Symate to run under XP??

Those 'DOS' Dongles were pretty simple; the program generally writes a command (or set of control lines) to the dongle port, then reads back a value from the status lines, usually it all boils down to a simple jz/jnz instruction after a compare in the program.

The problem with 32 bit Windows, is that the virtual 'DOS' box doesn't have direct access to the hardware port. At all. Ever.

The checks are made only in a few places in Symate, so you could disassemble it, find them, and change the jz's with jnz's, but that could be quite a task.

Best is to just use an old, true-DOS machine, or set up your new ones to dual boot to DOS. You might also want to try using VMWare, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Or, just upgrade to a newer version of the software.

Criggz,

I work for FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. We are the original developers of the Symate + software. We made that software for brand-label sale from Square D, 20 some years ago.

We continue to support the software and have turned it into a FasTrak product called PLC WorkShop for Symax Square D. If you have the existing dongle for Symate Plus, we can do a re-instatement of your warranty on that license and update you to our latest version of the software, which will even communicate Online serially, under Windows XP. This upgrade would also replace your old dongle with a new one. Please email me if you would like further information on the software and the upgrade.

Jim Rozewicz
FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc.
262.238.8088 x1062
[email protected]

Hello im after some information about using dongles under WinXP

we use old Square D PLC's at work and the old Symate program does not seem to pick up the hardware dongle when installed on newer systems running WINXP pro?? has anyone got any ideas on maybe some configurations?

and or maybe what type of dongles are actually used for the old Square D software. so i could find i baypass for them as this would be all that "illegal" as im pretty sure Square D are no longer really around (other then Schnider?) and we do own the dongles just trying to get Symate to run under XP??
We can help you with dongle issues.
http://dongle-emulator.net/

Steven,
Our SyMax SQD software is updated to run under Win XP with proper recognition of the dongle.
Jim Rozewicz
FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc.
262.238.8088 x1054