Contrologix Online edits slow

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone else experience problems with slow online edits using Contrologix?

I checked Rockwell's knowledge database regarding slow online edits using Rslogix 5000. The tech notes mention different CPR such as RsView Studio 3.2 and CPR 9 Rslogix5000.

I have all CPR 9 release products except RsNetworx CNET & DNET.

The knowledge database almost mention issues with Rslogix5K V16 and slow ladder scrolls. I do not experience this.

My observations seem to be that ever since switch to RsLinx Classic V2.52, going online with Clgx has experienced issues. I am having slow online edits with both V15 & V16 of Clgx.

Also another programmer in our office is experiencing slow online edits as well.

All connections use either Ethernet or Ethernet I/P Rslinx drivers. Problems experience on both Contrologix and Compactlogix

Our platforms are:

Dell Latitude D6XX
Win Xp
Intel Dual Core processors
2 GiG RAM

All Rockwell CPR 9 products except RsNetworx CPR7

If you are in REM and you switch from Run to Program, does it seem to take a long time? How many MSG instructions do you have going?

Oh YES!

I had plenty of slow editing with RSLogix 5K and also Very Slow Tag Monitoring.

Here some info of one of the System I had Problems with:

- Dell D610, 2Mb RAM, Windows XP Pro always up to date (MS Updates) and with Norton AV.
- RSlogix 5K V13 and V15 (And now V16 but not during the moment I describe)
- RSLinx 2.50 I think (Everything CPR-7)
- RSView Studio SE/ME with RSLinx Enterprise V4.0 always roll-up patched.
- This system was entirely with Enet-IP (IO and HMI).
- Separate ENBT for IO and HMI/INTER PLC COMM
- I Did also put one separate ENBT just for programming with RSLgk 5K for testing and very little improvement
- PLC CPU was L62 with less than half memory used.
- Lots of Ladders and also many SFCs

What I noticed:

- Very Very slow to online edit SFCs
- Cannot display more than 2 or 3 sfc's at a time online
- I had the problem even at my office without IO's... And Without all the PViews (3 in normal operation)
- PViews and RSView SE were working fine.
- ENBT loading was not max and no significant loss of packets...
- Tag monitoring in RS Logix 5K was OK at the begining of an online session but as soon as I expand Tag using a UDDT Type that had Strings Members, it was taking minutes to draw the screen and finally get the data...
- On-site rockwell people did not help...

Probably forgetting few issues... just writing what comes to my mind...

I increased the time slice few times to see the effect. It did speed up but not that much and for the loss of scan time was not acceptable. So final Slice time was around 30% .

Everything was in a Continuous Task, I would have like to change for periodic to see but I did not thing about this at that time...

Yves Levesque

from the "wild-guess-straws-to-grasp-at" department:

in RSLinx, make sure that the network browser (RSWho) is turned OFF unless you need to use it ... most people just leave it constantly browsing - or else minimized ... in those cases it's still using communications resourses - which can slow things down ...

also ... if you keep various "tag databases" and other editing windows "active" - but hidden in the background of RSLogix5000, you will often notice the type of slow down which you mentioned ... many people tend to keep EVERYTHING open - but minimized - and SOME of those things keep communicating in the background even when you can't see them on the screen ...

TWControls said:
If you are in REM and you switch from Run to Program, does it seem to take a long time? How many MSG instructions do you have going?

No, its not that issue. I have seen this one before on Clgx V11 & V12 where too many MSG isntructions were queued up.

The issue I have is across all current applications I am working on using both Contrologix and Compactlogix. This has occured ever since I went to V16 and Rslinx Classic V2.52 all CPR9

Ron Beaufort said:
from the "wild-guess-straws-to-grasp-at" department:

in RSLinx, make sure that the network browser (RSWho) is turned OFF unless you need to use it ... most people just leave it constantly browsing - or else minimized ... in those cases it's still using communications resourses - which can slow things down ...

also ... if you keep various "tag databases" and other editing windows "active" - but hidden in the background of RSLogix5000, you will often notice the type of slow down which you mentioned ... many people tend to keep EVERYTHING open - but minimized - and SOME of those things keep communicating in the background even when you can't see them on the screen ...

It may be more along what you have stated. I was on a startup last week and my V16 Contrologix was taking updwards of 5 seconds to complete an online edit. I went into Rslinx and removed all non required IP addresses from the AB-ETH1 driver. V16 app.

After that, the edits were fast again. Went to another jobsite yesterday and once again the slow online edits were back. 2 x V15 apps and one V16 app

Are you connecting directly from your PC to the ENBT or, are you going through some sort of ethernet switch?

I have seen a similair problem and it was in our Hirschmman switches configuration. Anytime you use a mangaed switch with ControlLogix make sure that "IGMP Forward All Multi-Cast" is enabled on all ports.

MajorFault said:
Are you connecting directly from your PC to the ENBT or, are you going through some sort of ethernet switch?

I have seen a similair problem and it was in our Hirschmman switches configuration. Anytime you use a mangaed switch with ControlLogix make sure that "IGMP Forward All Multi-Cast" is enabled on all ports.

We use the Phoenix FL unmanaged switch. The only other devices are PV+ or Compactlogix on the three different applications where I have noticed problems since upgrading to CPR9

curlyandshemp said:
We use the Phoenix FL unmanaged switch. The only other devices are PV+ or Compactlogix on the three different applications where I have noticed problems since upgrading to CPR9

Just shed more light on this subject. Last night I was at a site that has L55 V15, slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Today I am at a site that has L55 V11 & V13, online edits are as fast as I remembered

I had this issue with V15 and have it still with V16. In both cases I believe it to be related to RSView Enterprise. With V15 it seemed to be the RSView ME (v4.00) patch rollup (don't remember the version). Once I installed the patch roll-up, my logix5000 would become unusably slow online. Edits, updates, everything. I tested this a couple of times by uninstalling Logix5000 and RSViewME. Then re-install both of them. Go online, speed is ok. Install the patch rollup, and it is an exercise in patience to edit a rung of logic.
With V16, when I go online and it is unbearable slow I just start RSView Studio (now v5.00) and life is good again.
My guess it has to do something with that utterly useless FactoryTalk Automation platform.

Follow Up

curlyandshemp said:
Anyone else experience problems with slow online edits using Contrologix?

I checked Rockwell's knowledge database regarding slow online edits using Rslogix 5000. The tech notes mention different CPR such as RsView Studio 3.2 and CPR 9 Rslogix5000.

I have all CPR 9 release products except RsNetworx CNET & DNET.

The knowledge database almost mention issues with Rslogix5K V16 and slow ladder scrolls. I do not experience this.

My observations seem to be that ever since switch to RsLinx Classic V2.52, going online with Clgx has experienced issues. I am having slow online edits with both V15 & V16 of Clgx.

Also another programmer in our office is experiencing slow online edits as well.

All connections use either Ethernet or Ethernet I/P Rslinx drivers. Problems experience on both Contrologix and Compactlogix

Our platforms are:

Dell Latitude D6XX
Win Xp
Intel Dual Core processors
2 GiG RAM

All Rockwell CPR 9 products except RsNetworx CPR7

Picked up a new laptop this week Dell Vostro1500, Win XP Pro SP 2, dual core processor, 3 Gig of Ram, spent 2 nights reinstalling all software, and code developing today online edits with Rslogix 5000 V16 are still slow.

Kinda rules out my previous laptop.

This is a prestine install with residuals of CPR 7 stuff as per the tech note in the Rockwell Knowledge database.

The CPR7 has me wondering though, Rslogix5/500, RsNetworx Cnet/Dnet are all CPR7 as that is the lastest release.

Maybe somehow those are effecting V16?

That's the solution!!

ttichy said:
I had this issue with V15 and have it still with V16. In both cases I believe it to be related to RSView Enterprise. With V15 it seemed to be the RSView ME (v4.00) patch rollup (don't remember the version). Once I installed the patch roll-up, my logix5000 would become unusably slow online. Edits, updates, everything. I tested this a couple of times by uninstalling Logix5000 and RSViewME. Then re-install both of them. Go online, speed is ok. Install the patch rollup, and it is an exercise in patience to edit a rung of logic.
With V16, when I go online and it is unbearable slow I just start RSView Studio (now v5.00) and life is good again.
My guess it has to do something with that utterly useless FactoryTalk Automation platform.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!

I read your post and tried the same thing. Once I launch FactoryTalk View Studio for ME, the online edits are fast again!
Good thing I have a laptop with 3Gig or RAM. Over 700Meg of RAM is being consumed keeping both Windoews & Rslogix5000 & Studio running

Last edited:
curlyandshemp said:
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!

I read your post and tried the same thing. Once I launch FactoryTalk View Studio for ME, the online edits are fast again!
Good thing I have a laptop with 3Gig or RAM. Over 700Meg of RAM is being consumed keeping both Windoews & Rslogix5000 & Studio running

I now know the issue. I typically use the Services control panel to alter the startup of optional services such as all of the Rockwell factorytalk stuff. Each of these services I select as Manual, and then when needed that particular service is started when the dependant application starts. Apparently RSLogix5000 must be dependant on one of those services which does not start via RSlogix5000, but by FactoryTalk View.

Rockwell Applications Service is what must be Started in order to prevent slow online edits

ras.jpg