HMI on PC while developing in TIA portal

Pete.S.

Hi guys,

I've started using TIA portal recently having used step7 for a long time.

In the old version using wincc I could start the runtime on my computer and get a live version of the HMI on my screen.

It would complain about the number of power tags now and then but otherwise it would work perfectly to test HMI changes on a live machine. As far as i know I didn't have any special license just the normal wincc (flexible 2008 advanced I think). Panels would be ones like TP270.

On my TIA portal I have an RT button that is greyed out but don't know what I need to install and if I need some kind of license or not. I just want to be able to test the HMI when working remotely connected or when the HMI isn't near by. The HMI I use right now is TP1200.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
Left to the "Start Runtime" button is a button "Start Simulation".
If you have selected the HMI project the button should be enabled, and you can start your TP simulation.

Normally the simulation uses the S7online interface. So you have to configure it to the interface (Ethernet, Profibus) you want to use via PG/PC interface settings.

Hi guys,

In the old version using wincc I could start the runtime on my computer and get a live version of the HMI on my screen.

It would complain about the number of power tags now and then but otherwise it would work perfectly to test HMI changes on a live machine. As far as i know I didn't have any special license just the normal wincc (flexible 2008 advanced I think). Panels would be ones like TP270.

On my TIA portal I have an RT button that is greyed out but don't know what I need to install and if I need some kind of license or not. I just want to be able to test the HMI when working remotely connected or when the HMI isn't near by. The HMI I use right now is TP1200.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm not certain what you're trying to do but basically the RT simulation button is if you have a live PLC and you want to simulate the HMI via your PC. So you have a live PLC and your PC acts as an HMI.

If you want to simulate both just hit the simulation button for the PLC and then for the HMI you can do the same or choose menu "Online>Simulation>With tag simulator"

Last edited:
Pete,

WinCC Comfort works pretty much the same as Flex did, but there's lots of extra buttons on the tool bars for SCADA level stuff, PLCs, etc. There's a simulation button and also options in (I think) the "Online" menu at the top, if you have the HMI selected. The licensing is the same, it runs in demo mode with a nag window, possibly only for a certain amount of time.

Definitely be careful about what what actually has the focus in Portal. Because it does PLC/HMI/drive/whatever, half the buttons do something different based on what is selected when you push it. Usually it is logical enough, but it is better ready to think one thing is selected when actually something else is.

PS: the system will let you try to "Go Online" with an HMI, but there isn't really anything you can do with it.

Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

Sorry, I'm a lousy reader, I just noticed you TP1200 now. That will not work with the RT button as that is for PC stations. You can still simulate as I described above.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Everything worked when I did as you said.

In my case:
In Windows Control Panel Set PG/PC interface S7ONLINE to TCPIP.1
Have focus on the HMI in the project tree when you press Start simulation button

Now the PC simulates the HMI and the HMI is connected to the live PLC.

Out of curiosity, do you have WinCC Comfort of WinCC Advanced ?
I thought the ability to run the HMI either simulated or runtime came with WinCC Advanced only. I might be wrong.

Same here. I tried with TP700 and RT simulation was not possible and was later informed that comfort panel are not supported I believe because they don't "run" Runtime Advanced.

Out of curiosity, do you have WinCC Comfort of WinCC Advanced ?
I thought the ability to run the HMI either simulated or runtime came with WinCC Advanced only. I might be wrong.

Licence key says Simatic HMI - WinCC Comfort/Advanced - 14.0

So I guess it's WinCC Advanced.