AB Generic Ethernet Module Configuration Instance Data Function

aiki202

Can someone please confirm how Generic Ethernet Module 'Configuration Instance' data in an AB Logix processor is used?

More specifically...I have a device with only an 'Input Data - DINT' instance and numerous bytes of Configuration data (no output data). When I create the module the associated tags are automatically generated in the controller tag data base as usual (example tags: Device:I & Device:C) . The input data is implicitly (I/O connection) messaged into the associated PAC tag from the device based on the RPI rate. I believe the Configuration data is only written to the device when an explicit message is activated from PLC code...so unless a Message instruction is activated from code no data with ever be written to the device?

Is this correct?

Thanks

In general, the Configuration data is written to the device each time that the I/O connection is established over the network.

This is usually at power-up, and anytime the device is disconnected and re-connected.

I have never seen an explicit message required to send the Modulename:C.Data[x] data to the device.

A related issue is that some devices that have configuration information in their Output assemblies will apply those configuration values when the connection is established, and then will apply them again when they receive a "Reconfigure Module" message. A good example is a High Speed Counter module that has the .Preset values in the Output assembly.

The main difference is that those devices have the data in the Output assembly, not in the Configuration assembly. The Module Reconfigure is usually less disruptive than an actual cold or warm restart.

Thanks for the response.

I am using an encoder that does not save its parameter data to on-board flash memory...but that shouldn't matter because the configuration data 'should' be re-written each time the power is cycled. I believe the device I am using is 'similar' to the AB 842E EtherNet/IP Absolute Encoder.

I have never read anywhere how the Configuration data is actually handled by the I/O connection. I realize each manufacturer selects I/O/C Assembly Instances based on functions, etc. but what about the actual execution of the I/O connection. Are there any resources (RA or other) that explains the implicit I/O functionality in detail -OR- is it simply the RPI for Input & Output data, and what you explained for the Config data?

Are there any resources (RA or other) that explains the implicit I/O functionality in detail -OR- is it simply the RPI for Input & Output data, and what you explained for the Config data?

I don't think there is really anything simple about this protocol, but there is some documentation available. What you really want is the ODVA CIP documentation that defines the protocol. However, this is not freely available (or was not in the past, have not checked in a while). It's also a tough read, so I find it better as a lookup reference rather than light night reading.

Some general links, many more available on google. Also product documentation from the various vendors is useful including Rockwell, Schneider Electric, Codesys, etc., as they all support EtherNet/IP in one way or another.

http://www.deltamotion.com/support/webhelp/rmctools/Communications/Ethernet/Supported_Protocols/EtherNetIP/Ethernet_IP_I_O_Setting_up_a_Connection.htm

http://support.azeotech.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=442

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiMx5mhzJ_NAhXDCh4KHThrCgYQFghCMAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscadahacker.com%2Flibrary%2FDocuments%2FICS_Protocols%2FParker%2520-%2520EtherNetIP%2520-%2520Specification.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG3GcruzXiPgOXHoGRU8c3CZTWNNg&sig2=8e7xcytkwSy1_UmSDdFcVA

I search the web quite often for various automation subjects/explanations but I don't remember seeing the document in the second link. Looks like it contains a lot of good info. Thanks!