Contrologix 1756-IF16 analog input card

jtashaffer

I have a controllogix Plc with a 1756-IF16 analog input card. There are 8 input cables and they only have 2 wires. Then there is a jumper over to the other terminal I think it is rtn. I have to add 3 more analog inputs. Do I need to get another analog input card for this type setup

If each cable is connected to 2 input points (example: IN-0 & IN-1), then the module is setup for differential inputs and you therefore don't have a spare channel available. It sounds as though your module is wired for 8 differential current inputs, based upon your description of a jumper to the RTN terminals.

Have you checked to make sure that all 8 cables are actually connected to field devices, rather than merely to a control panel terminal board?

They are all being used. Those 8 are for a different type setup. I have to add 3 analog inputs for scales. 1 analog input for each scale. Do I wire it up in the same way?

They are all being used. Those 8 are for a different type setup. I have to add 3 analog inputs for scales. 1 analog input for each scale. Do I wire it up in the same way?

You could use single ended inputs for most instruments. You only need to set an analog input module up for differential inputs when your instrument outputs a signal that crosses from negative to positive.

Assuming that your scales have a 4 to 20 mA output, which is typical, then you could use a 1756-IF16 module to facilitate 16 inputs.

The wiring diagrams for that module are shown in this PDF document.