No BTW/BTR communication with 1771IFE/C Analog in card

Navles

EDIT: The CPU is a PLC5 5/60, we are programming with RsLogix5

Dear PLCTalkers,

I'm currently at a customer (for a different project but i like to help and learn) and they have a broken press. The problems occurred after a power outage.

They didn't know where the problem was and took out a Analog in card (1771IFE/C) and put it back in later, when they put the card back in the Run LED kept flashing (No configuration loaded), so i checked the program and the BTW is enabled but i don't receive the Error nor the Done bit.

Note: The problem was a broken component and they switched the fuse, AFTER they took out the analog card. So now the component is working but the analog card is giving issues.

So we took a spare card, still same problem. Took another spare card, still same problem :/
I guess we can rule out the card is the problem.

So i suspect the backplane is damaged/corroded and when they took out the card and put it back in they might have pushed some corrosion in the connectors and because of that the card has no proper connection?

I have read countless documentations but i can't find anything on what the problem might be if you don't receive a Done or a Error bit on a BTW/BTR.

Does someone have any pointers?

Thanks alot!

Navles

UPDATE:

They took out another Analog in card and after putting it back in, that card also starting flashing green (no configuration loaded). We now have the same communication issue.

Last edited:
just a quick thought - are you SURE that the BTW rung is being scanned/executed by the processor? ...

TIP: I don't think that this next comment is part of your problem - but if you're new at this then you need to understand that the IFE cards that you're swapping around have little JUMPERS inside them ... these need to be set correctly when you replace a module ... I don't think that is causing the problem with your BTW - but just make sure that the jumpers are set correctly before you consider the job "finished" ...

can you post your program file? ... (RSP) ... you'll have to zip it first (forum rule) - but if we can see the file that might help us troubleshoot your problem ...

Hello Ron,

Thanks for you comment.

The jumpers are set, same as the old card.

When i toggle the bit for BTW done, the BTR will set it's enable bit. So the rung is being executed.

(First write config, after read it. The enabled bits do get set.)

I cannot share the program according to my customer. It is a press made by SMS Meer.

Rockwell is now checking the system with a remote connection. If they find the problem i will report.

Thanks again for your answer!

Rockwell could not find any problems in the software.
The customer than tried the software in a test environment from Rockwell (same type cpu/io cards/backplane etc) and everything worked.

So chances are it is the backplane/chassis, we have a replacement chassis on the way. I will report if that fixed the problem, in case people ever run into the same problem!

Have a nice day everyone.

Navles