You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Tim James
United States

RSlogix500 branch/rung display bug

I just installed a new version of RSLogix 500 Professional on a new machine and there is some kind of bug in the display of the branches that has become extremely aggravating. Basically every time I open or save an RSS all the rung branches that should be facing down, flip onto the topside of the rung pointing up. The logic instructions stay put and the logic flow is still intact, but it's annoying as heck to look at. If I go through a file or project verification it fixes all the branches that are visible on the screen, but all of the branches that aren't visible on the screen stay flipped up. Anyone else having this problem, and better yet does anyone have a solution? I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, no luck.

Here's a picture of what's happening.

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

WOW, pretty strange.

Have you tried holding down the control and shift keys while starting RSLogix. Hold down until RSLogix completely starts. This will reset it to it's default conditions. Worth a try.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Tim James
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
WOW, pretty strange.

Have you tried holding down the control and shift keys while starting RSLogix. Hold down until RSLogix completely starts. This will reset it to it's default conditions. Worth a try.
Never heard of that trick, but I gave it shot. Almost looked like it worked for a second, but as soon as I started a little editing and flipping between ladder files all the branch legs flipped up again.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
The Plc Kid
United States

Time to call rockwell and see whazzzz Uppppp cause that is very weird.
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
mallorz
United States

Interesting. Would you report back after you call Tech Support? I'm curious!
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
kamenges
United States

That is similar (but not identical) to issues that were floating around Logix5K back in version 12(ish). As you scrolled through the rungs the locatins of instructions would occasionally shift around, especially is you did it quickly. It ended up being a video driver issue that they corrected somewhere along the line.

I don't think this helps you any other than there probably isn't a change you can make to get around it.

Keith
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #7
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenges View Post
That is similar (but not identical) to issues that were floating around Logix5K back in version 12(ish). As you scrolled through the rungs the locatins of instructions would occasionally shift around, especially is you did it quickly. It ended up being a video driver issue that they corrected somewhere along the line.

I don't think this helps you any other than there probably isn't a change you can make to get around it.

Keith
Of course it could be your PC/laptop video drivers that need updating - obviously RA can't correct that for you....
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Old July 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
bjh
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
Of course it could be your PC/laptop video drivers that need updating - obviously RA can't correct that for you....
I'm betting that's exactly what this is. While not the same as the OP's problem I had a very similar issue in a different piece of software that was fixed when I reinstalled my video drivers. Give it a shot!
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I haven't seen that since the ISSC days. You got my half true fuzzy bit screenshot beat by a long shot...

WAG: weirdness with font type/size?

Last edited by OkiePC; July 16th, 2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: read first then reply...
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Tim James
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post

Finally got Rockwell to at least diagnose the issue and you were more or less correct. All they said was to try and holding CTRL+SHIFT while the program started (which I'd already tried) or if I was using two monitors to make sure I had the video resolution set the same on each display. Turns out it was the latter issue. When I'm programming I always use my laptop screen as my primary and my desktop monitor as my secondary display. Doesn't matter which screen my program window is on, the branch legs want to flip up. Setting the resolution of my secondary to match the resolution of my laptop screen may look really crappy, but it does fix the graphics bug that causes the branch legs to flip around. Unfortunately it also makes the secondary display more or less useless. I will try reloading/updating the graphic card drivers, but I feel like this is probably a graphics bug on the Logix500 end. Fun stuff. Might be time to get my company to just buy me another monitor that matches and to nix using my laptop display at all.
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:17 PM   #11
ezbz
United States

Using RS500 in windowed mode seems to fix the issue for me.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum