I am soooo happy, did my first project

thierry2003

I always had a big interest in PLC's and automation but since my current job doens't allow me to do automation stuff myself I searched for some job (afterhours) myself.
So, after some weeks I already found someone who was willing to give me a shot.
The project was automating a palletizer used to palletize bags of potatoes. Since I had no practical knowledge of PLC's at all (I only knew what they're used for) I suggested that I would work on the 'no cure, no pay' principal.
So after talking a few times with my client it was time to buy the hardware. I started browsing these forums (and newsgroups, etc.) and came up with a 9,4" Easyview touch panel and a Automation Direct 260 CPU with 64 inputs and 48 outputs.
Luckely for me, my client, who I already knew a long time since he delivers to the factory I work in, wanted to pay for the parts himself. (so he could recuperate the VAT)
Finally it was programming time. I bought all the manuals from AD and just started playing with the PLC on my desk. Trying the timers, counters, simulating stuff on the touchscreen. After a week I already had my working program, at least, I thought I did :D
But when I got to my client and uploaded my program things were not working out as they should. The client didn't make a big thing out of it since I told him that I was still learning. After some debugging I saw my biggest mistakes. Double coiling was a major one. The other one was my debugging on site. I really started making a mess of my program! So I went back home and redid the whole program but this time I started out on paper, defining everything in small parts.
Went back to the site and saw my second big mistake. I used subroutines and make a major error. If you start a motor in a subroutine using an OUT instruction the output will stay on if the subroutine isn't called anymore, aargh.
That was the time when it all started making sense. I rewrote the whole program in 4 days and redid the HMI screens.
Went on site, uploaded everything and after debugging some small mistakes everything worked as planned. And I mean everything, it was a major rush! I simulated all the possible faults I could think off, explained everything to my client and so the machine is up and running now.

So, for everyone who wants to get into this stuff, my advice is JUST DO IT.
It will be hard, you will work long hours, but if you only talk about it it will get you nowhere. Find a real project and go for it.

This morning I spoke to my client and asked him why he got so much confidence in me. It was because I was always saying that I would try to make it work, even if it took me months. I never said that I was an expert I always told him that I was a beginner (I still am one). And the 'no cure, no pay' was the biggest one, 'Hell, if you are willing to pay for that stuff yourself, you must be sure of yourself'.

So, this is my first success- story, I hope many will follow.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the help, actually I didn't asked a lot of questions but you can't imagine how the search-button on this site has helped me. :)

I am sure most of remember that first buzz of something we did, that worked.

My first one was a ‘in at the deep end’ project too.

It was an already working machine with very old electrical parts, no drawings and hours of down time when it went wrong (which was often)

I remember being scared to death when I ripped out the old controls and they lay in a pile behind me.

Weeks later it was a fully working machine with drawings and everything up to the latest spec.

As I got more experienced I realized that I had fitted the wrong plc. (luckily over-specced than under) and to be honest a lot of my program was rubbish. It worked but it was rubbish.

Luckily, this company had quite a few of the same machine and I eventually got to do them all.
As my programming improved, I went back to the others and put the new improved version in.
Yep, it’s a great feeling and you want to tell the world eh :)

Congrats!

That's how gurus started. If they didn't have the gots to start like you, they wouldn't have been what they are now.

You know, I thought Tom was crazy when he first sat me down at a CAD station and said "draw me a coffee cup." Huh??? I don't even know how to make a line!!! Would you like fries with that?

Then, Tom said "Take this program and change these registers... We don't need this part... Check these OI screens..." Once the program started working (well, "functioning") I was HOOKED! I blame Tom Jenkins for my addition to blinkin' lights.

Lucky for me, Tom sheltered me enough while I got my feet wet. Now that I've got a resume and I've floated around a bit, I actually get a kick out of taking some chances.

AK

I got my start when a couple of engineers at the Goodyear plant asked my if I knew PLC's.

I said sure, what's a PLC?

John

Any way that works, works.

Thanks to all for the nice words.
And please, keep the stories coming, it is nice to read how others got into this.

Hi Thierry,

The way you tell your story brings all the memories back from the
time I was writing my first program.
At certain stages during your programming you want to jump out of a
window BUT when it is finaly working OOH WHAT A FEELING!!!

Wish you all the luck in the world and now up to the second
project.

Veel geluk met uw tweede project (flemish?)
Bon change avec votre deuxième Project (french not my native
language)

Rudi

Yup Fritz, you're certainly right about the 'jumping out of the window' part :)
Glad I made it.
I am looking now to do another project and I am sure that the window part will still be there, it probably always will be. :D
BTW I am Flemish.