Data Display Software Question

markzb

Hi everyone and greetings. I am an absolute newbie to the world of PLC's...one which I find absolutely fascinating!

I have a software question, and I hope some of you may be able to share with me some pointers on what to look for.

My question is, if we have a PLC that has a RS 232 socket and supports data communication, is there any software available that enables a PLC connected to a serial port of a windows based PC to design and configure screens that will enable us to display the data from the PLC ( i.e. from sensors) in various formats ( meters, graphs)?

In all honesty, I don't know what "family" or "type" of software I need to search for! Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Hope you might have some suggestions on what I could try out.

Regards

Mark Baharom

Last edited:
What your asking for is an Operator Interface. The PC is one of many choices for hardware.

1) HMI (Human Machine Interface). An HMI uses a single board/touch screen (486, Pentum, etc.) platform, and runs a built-in software package to communicate with PLC's. You use a Windows software package to program it to display whatever you want, including charts and graphs. You pick items from a list. Limited customization. By picking and choosing 'canned routines', you're able to put together a system quickly. No need to build graphics and associated I/O. It's all done for you. For a graph, give it the PLC addresses, range, pen color, and maybe a few other parameters, and your done.

2) HMI software for a PC. This does to same job, but now you have a choice of desktop+mouse or touchscreen, etc.

3) There is higher level software packages, usually for multiple PLC's. This has names similar to "Factory Floor". I'll let the experts expand on this.

Last edited:
Hi Keith

Thank you kindly for taking the time to reply. I think the answer you gave that helps me greatly is number #2!

When I was searching thru the archives a few days ago, I came across the standalone HMI as you mentioned in your answer #1. A forum member suggested the Maple 6" one I think which looked really nice. I never knew these standalone HMI devices existed untill I started diggin thru the archives. Man this forum is a gold mine of solid info!

OK..so I am looking for HMI software for PC. Great!

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with any particular programs?

Also look forward to any comments on this "factory floor" software. Sounds like a few years learning required, that one!!

Regards

mark

Search the forum for SCADA, you should get many hits. SCADA software usually has all the graphics you mentioned, plus alarms, trends and perhaps historians.

Some Brands that come to mind: Citect, WonderWare, Intellution, and I'm sure there are many others. Rockwell and Siemens also have thier own offering.

If you are fluent in visual basic, there are also visual basic plugins available, with these you can "roll your own", the vb version will be the cheapest, but will take the most time.

Last edited: