the MSG instruction communication path

ypf_108

I have a question, on the MSG instruction communication path setting. I would like to read an analog controller, 5555 to the 5561 controller, two remote controllers can be connected via Ethernet. Message type CIP DATA Table Read, set the communication path, but it is more difficult, and we hope to get help, thank you

I could describe in great detail how to write the path specification to get data from a remote controller, but it is easier to simply select the controller in your I/O configuration in the controller organiser.

You will, of course, have to put the local ethernet module, the remote ethernet module, and the remote controller, into the I/O "tree".

Once everything is added, your "path" can be selected by a drop-down menu, listing all possible paths in your project.

it is diffcuit to put the local ethernet module, the remote ethernet module, and the remote controller, into the I/O "tree".

his answer ID describes how to create the correct path for a MSG instruction from a ControlLogix processor to another ControlLogix processor using Ethernet with two Ethernet cards (example 1756-ENBT) The controller that initiates the message instruction has the following path (separated by commas, no spaces):
1,S1,2,xxx.yyy.zzz.www,1,S2
Where:

• 1 is the backplane for the first chassis (the clx backplane always uses 1)
  • S1 is the slot of the 1756-ENBT in the first chassis (the first position on the left is 0, second 1,...)
  • 2 is to go outside to the Ethernet (always 2)
  • xxx.yyy.zzz.www is the IP address of the 1756-ENBT in the second chassis
  • 1 is the backplane for the second chassis (always 1 for clx)
  • S2 is the slot of the CLX in the second chassis (starting from left the first position is 0, second 1,...)
Example 1,3,2,192.168.1.4,1,0

it is diffcuit to put the local ethernet module, the remote ethernet module, and the remote controller, into the I/O "tree".

Please explain your difficulties.

Are you trying to put all of the modules in YOUR chassis ?

They should go into the I/O configuration like this :-

Your Controller
|
|--Local Backplane
|
|--Local EtherNet module
|
|--EtherNet
|
|--Remote EtherNet module
|
|--Remote Backplane
|
|--Remote Controller

Hope this helps

his answer ID describes how to create the correct path for a MSG instruction from a ControlLogix processor to another ControlLogix processor using Ethernet with two Ethernet cards (example 1756-ENBT) The controller that initiates the message instruction has the following path (separated by commas, no spaces):
1,S1,2,xxx.yyy.zzz.www,1,S2
Where:

• 1 is the backplane for the first chassis (the clx backplane always uses 1)
  • S1 is the slot of the 1756-ENBT in the first chassis (the first position on the left is 0, second 1,...)
  • 2 is to go outside to the Ethernet (always 2)
  • xxx.yyy.zzz.www is the IP address of the 1756-ENBT in the second chassis
  • 1 is the backplane for the second chassis (always 1 for clx)
  • S2 is the slot of the CLX in the second chassis (starting from left the first position is 0, second 1,...)
Example 1,3,2,192.168.1.4,1,0

[*]1 is the backplane for the second chassis (always 1 for clx)
what about if the secon chassis is a SLC 1747-L552 cpu ? What is the number then?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

This thread is nearly nine years old and refers to a different controller platform, so it would be better to create a new thread (there's a big green button at the main forum page) to address your question.

The answer, by the way, is that SLC controllers (and PLC-5 and MicroLogix) don't put the CPU anywhere but Slot 0, so the slot number isn't important. The last element in a CIP Path pointed at an SLC-5/05 will be the IP address of the SLC-5/05

I have a question on this subject for a project that I am working on. I am trying to read if read results from 2 Cognex Dataman scanners are valid into the PLC (CompactLogix 1769-L24ER-QB1B). I do not have anymore Implicit Ethernet/IP connections available on the controller, so I'm trying to do a work around to use Explicit CIP messages to read data from the dataman scanners.

The question I have is, do I need to have the scanners in the project tree in RSLogix 5000 in order to use their communications path in the CIP message? If not, how would I go about setting up the proper communications path to read data from them?