Need explanation of HW and GSD.

jydepower

Hi.

Im having problems understanding hw and gsd files.
Hw is the hardware itself and gsd is what?

What about installing hw files from siemens online database? should i just install everything? (im asking because it warns me, that i cant undo it).

Why are gds files so hard to find on siemens webpage? why cant i just install them online like the hw files?

Hej Jyde.

GSD files is an open standard for Profibus and Profinet that isn't directly related to Siemens or STEP7.
If you use a different brand PLC, you would have to import the GSD files into that brands HW configurator.

Yes install everything from the online update of the HW catalog.

To find GSD files on Siemens Support, simply search with a relevant search string "ET 200M GSD" or "MM4 GSD" or similar.
For Siemens Profibus or Profinet parts, you just look in the HW catalog. No need to import GSD files in STEP7.

A .gsd file is an ASCII file that describes the hardware and its data exchanges to a Profibus device, usually the bus Master.
These files come from the manufacturer of the device, so if your Profibus device is not made by Siemens, you may not find its GSD file on the Siemen's web site.
Or search for .gsd instead of .gds :)

Hej igen Jesper.
Er langt om længe uddannet og har endelig fået et super job. Du hjalp mig for nogle år tilbage, da jeg sad på skole bænken hvis du husker. Så kommer nok til at nasse en del på din viden i fremtiden.

Thanks for the replies, that made things much more clear.

The reason for my question is I'm currently working on a programme I dident make myself.
When I retrieve it. It tell me I haven't got simotion or something installed. Which I thought was a hw.
Which leaves me with all microdrives undefined in hw setup.
After some searching, I think I need a programme called drive es. Is this correct? Does it require a license. And are there any alternative?
Read about something called stater aswell. But lost track now. :)

Last edited: