RSLogix 500, new program with old data

Karac

I'm currently upgrading a program in a Micrologix 1100 using RSLogix 500; the program currently uses about a dozen variables set by the operator to set limits on some minimum and maximum acceptable analog values. My problem is that whenever I download a new ladder program I have to write down these values because downloading overwrites them. Is there an option or method to download just the program and not the old data stored in my laptop, or a way to suck the current values in the PLC into my new ladder?

This isn't an insurmountable problem yet, there's only a dozen or so variables I have to write down on a sheet of paper and re-enter. But over the next week or so, that numbers going to go up to over a hundred, becoming at the least a massive pain.

If I'm not being clear, this can be done in DirectSoft 5; there's a choice there to send over the new 'program' (just the ladder logic, keeping the current variables), or sending the 'project' (sending the new ladder logic and the variables in my laptop to the plc).

You may apply protection to an individual data file. Right click on the file in the project tree and pick properties. Under Protection, put a checkmark in the Memory Module/Download box.

If your parameters are different data types then create more than one file. If they are timer/counter presets the use MOV instructions to move them to the timer .PRE.

If the program changes you are making are simple then the ML1100 supports online programming, which won't change the data tables unless you specifically modify the value manually.

TJC0509121.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm not being clear, this can be done in DirectSoft 5; there's a choice there to send over the new 'program' (just the ladder logic, keeping the current variables), or sending the 'project' (sending the new ladder logic and the variables in my laptop to the plc).
I understand your frustration with RSLogix500. It's just so simple in DirectSOFT. The only time I ever use 'Save project to PLC' is when I am duplicating a program in a new machine. Saves time by populating all the variables with my default values. The other 99.99% of the time I DON"T want to overwrite the variables. I do use 'Save project to disk' often though. That way my offline program has the latest data.

Another 'workaround' would be to copy the current online data to your offline program. Allen Nelson's cut and paste method is described in this thread (second post)...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2330

🍻

-Eric

If possible, go online with the PLC and save the program while online. This will ask you to "upload data table values". This will make sure you have the most current information in your offline file. Then, as long as none of the variables you are worried about are changing, you can go offline, make your necessary changes, then download. Works best if the machine is down, but I know that's not always possible.
This is what I do whenever I have to make a change that I can't do while online. Which, with a Micrologix, I realize, is all the time ha ha. o_O

Clear as mud?

I assume your kidding. yes you can do online edits in the micrologix

Really?! Which models allow online editing? I know that all of the 1000's we have don't. We have a few 1200's but I've never had to edit any of them. I just "assumed" that since the 1000 didn't allow online editing, the rest didn't either.

Karac,

not trying to slam you, but i think you are about to learn a lesson the hard way as i did when i first started.

Do not assume your laptop has the correct program, ever!
anyone with a laptop can change the program on a different laptop and you wouldn't know. timers, counters, data can be changed as well via laptops and hmi terminals.

the plc has the master program and you should never forget it.
as a safety, i keep backups of the program, upload the program from the plc, and use it as the master program. if i find out that my backup was correct versus what someone modified, find out why the modifications were made and the thought process.

this is a lesson i learned the hard way and do not want you to make the same mistake.

regards,
james

Karac,

not trying to slam you, but i think you are about to learn a lesson the hard way as i did when i first started.

Do not assume your laptop has the correct program, ever!
anyone with a laptop can change the program on a different laptop and you wouldn't know. timers, counters, data can be changed as well via laptops and hmi terminals.

In this particular case, I'm the only person changing the ladder logic, while I know for a fact that the data values are going to be different each time I walk up to the machine. That was the driving force behind wanting a way to write up changes to the logic in my air conditioned office and then upload those changes in the plant while keeping their new values. The PLC in question is about ten feet away from a industrial oven that creates about 120 degrees at the PLC I'm updating; not having to be physically connected to the PLC for ten hours while I'm figuring out the new logic is a large plus.

Personally, the first thing I do anytime each time I connect to a machine is to save everything it has to a new folder. I also keep making new folders to hold iterations of any program I'm working on - at least once a day, more if I'm making good progress. That way if I make a change to a program today that I decide I need to change back next week I don't depend on my brain to remember what the old settings were; I just have to search through the old versions to find what it used to be.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions; they'll be a huge help.

If possible, go online with the PLC and save the program while online. This will ask you to "upload data table values". This will make sure you have the most current information in your offline file...
After that, copy entire data file from this uploaded project and paste it into the modified project to be downloaded. Do this with all necessary data files.
But be careful- do not mismatch data source and destination projects.