NEW feature... PLCS.net "on the road"

Its growing on me. naw, just kidding. I am absolutely loving this site. [don't know if people are loving me love this site or not though, my posts are probably a little wacky] Thanks a million.

Merry Christmas to all!!

Windows NT

Does anybody know how to put this on the NT tool bar??

Jim S.

NT

What Steve S. said was dead-on. The NT station that didn't have the TOOLBARS option when right-clicking the taskbar was running IE 5. The NT station that could see it on the menu was running IE 4.

I tried the command line install, but it didn't work for me. I wound up re-installing IE 4, and then upgrading both machines to IE6.

Hi Phil
This is a very nice feature. i like it as much as i love this site.
but every time i connect to the net i must refresh this toolbar to work and displays the latest posts.
Is there any way to let this feature work as soon as i login to the site .I know you said that this feature works better if the machine is alawys connected to the net .A lot of us access the net from different machines(work,home,friends...etc)
thanks

Hi Hesham,

That's precisely why it's better to use a dedicated connection. A dialup will work but some inconvenience will be seen.

It is programmed to look to the forum every 10 minutes and gather the latest posts. If you're not connected to the internet when it tries, it fails and tries again 10 minutes later. If it just checked (while you were offline) and then you dial into the internet you must wait the remainder of whatever time is left from the programs last look.

To update when you get online, just right click the toolbar program and choose 'refresh' as soon as you get online.

If you're asking if the program can automatically set itself up on whatever pc you're using whenever you visit PLCS.net, no it can't. Remember it's not a windows or java or whatever program and nothing is 'executed'. It's just a windows 'feature' that is being utilized.

If it ran that way, you would never see if there are topics that were unread by you(among other things) when you visit the forum main page. Because, you'd be logged into the forum although you weren't 'really there'.

Actually, it's starting to eat alot of site bandwidth/resources going out due to it's popularity. Right now -every person- using it queries the forum every 10 minutes. Quite inefficient programming on my part... eh?

The new site design (currently 27 days behind and counting...but 90% done) will include a more efficient system (transparent to all currently using the toolbar function) out of necessity for a 'new visitor treat' :)

Ok, I'm rambling...
Hope that helped explain anyway.

Enjoy,

Tool Bar Scroller is Great!!

Thanks for the tool, Phil, I really like it. Some great code.
The site is also great. It has helped me a lot. I had been out of working with PLCs for a few years and was a little rusty when I had to get back into again. Now I am even more excited about PLCs and what they can do.
I was also interested in seeing what some of the users here have done using PLCs in a home environment. Anyone got any ideas? Use it as a burgler alarm? Environment control? Any other ideas?
Thanks!

:) Thank you very much,Phil!I'm a Chinese and not good at English.When I browse this site,I usually open my electronic dictionary. Even so I really like this site cause it gives me so much help.I hope you can stick out and we will always support you!

Back
Top Bottom