Moxa Ethernet Switches

Worked with unmanaged switches from them and had only one issue with the fiber ports. The ones we had running had been up and running for about 2 years straight and longer and if we cycled power, one of the fiber ports would die.
This happened to me three times in a row to the point that I wouldn't power one down without a spare in my hand. Apart from that they were solid.

Minor issue for sure?!?

Well, I'm not planning on using any fiber so that's a positive.

Thanks for the comment.

The switches weren't 2 years old, at least 4 to 5 and had been through some really rough environments (temperatures and humidity) over their life span, so I didn't really take it against Moxa.

Siemens managed switches however were far from this good and failed more often. Sometimes it was the occasional need for a reboot, others the optical ports just died.

The ones I never had to replace were Hirschmann's over the same period of time.

We installed a six 16-port unmanaged Moxa switches in a refrigerated packaged milk storage facility in 2009. 33-34F at all times. All of them were still functioning when I left the plant a couple months ago.

Hi keshik.
I have been using the EDS-408A-EIP 8 port managed units for the last four and a half years and so far none have given me any issues. I use those units for any Ethernet/IP based installation unless a client specifically wants a different brand.
Does Moxa have any support in your area? Even great products fail...

Nice to see the positive reviews so far. I'm looking at buying some laser stuff from a local distributor and the laser company highly recommends Gigabit Ethernet. Apparently this distributor reps Moxa as well and is what they quoted to me. Surprisingly it is much less expensive than Stratix.

Are there any significant disadvantages to using a non-Stratix switch? This will be going into small facilities where the commonality with Cisco configuration won't be of any real benefit.

I used the unmanaged Moxa 5, 8, and 16 port units with no issues.
I switched over to Red Lion / Sixnet / N-Tron because it was a cost savings.

No surprise anything costs less than the Stratix parts!

Not switches, but we have their data collection boxes that have 16 DIN's each. They are fast, and seem to work pretty well for interfacing with SAP. Spec'd by our German counterpart, and they do the job. No complaints

Was surprised to see mention of them!

Not switches, but we have their data collection boxes that have 16 DIN's each. They are fast, and seem to work pretty well for interfacing with SAP. Spec'd by our German counterpart, and they do the job. No complaints

Was surprised to see mention of them!

Are you referring to Moxa or a different brand?

Are there any significant disadvantages to using a non-Stratix switch? This will be going into small facilities where the commonality with Cisco configuration won't be of any real benefit.

For unmanaged switches, can't see that there would be... for managed switches integration with RSLogix is already done for you, but for a lot of applications a fault switch wired to the PLC will do the same job too.