Siemens HMI TP070 Comm Problem

ltrail

I'm hoping some of you experienced Siemens folk will help me on this one. I have a Siemens S7 224 and associated PPI/PC Cable for downloading the program to the S7. That works well. But when I connect the PPI/PC cable (its a USB connection at the PC), I get the following PC error message, "Could not establish connection. Please check your settings, interface cable, etc!" Another screen says, " Download Failed. Please check the following, 1) Cable connections between PC and TP, 2) Port number selected for comm between PC and TP (it is COM1 and 38400 baud rate), 3) TP is in the serial download mode before starting download
I'm hoping that someone has been here and done that; and has the answer. At first I was connected to a D-Link USB hub. But I recently tried directly to a USB port on the computer. Still nothing successful.

Thanks.

TOP70

After you connect the PPI cable turn the TOP70 power off and then On again.There will come a menu on the HMI and select to establish a connection from the HMI.

Go to your "Control Panel" for your PC and look under "Set PG/PC Interface". Make sure "PC/PPI Cable is selected" Then click on "Properties" In the "Properties" section under the "Local Connection" tab, which is the PC to Adapter connection, you must select "USB" if you have it set to COM1 the PC is looking for your PPI adapter on the serial port. Your adapter should have come with a driver disk, which once installed, will enable you to select the USB option if it's not there. Mine only gave me the option to select COM1 or COM2 until I installed the driver for the adapter.

Siemens TP070 HMI Comm Problem

Geofra. I tried turning off power to the HMI after connecting the USB/serial PPI/PC cable but it didn't help. After turning on and setting itself up, it automatically searches for host.

CT782, I checked the PC's Control Panel, Set PG/PC Interface and found that it was already set on "USB". As I mentioned, I have already used the PPI/PC cable to download to the S7 224 unit. What I did find, though, is that in the TP Designer application, under Setup/Communications/Options/Port, it shows only COM1 or COM2 options; no USB option. And it provides a bunch of baud rates that would be suitable for serial communications. I believe that my version 1.0 is the fault. Would anyone know whether USB has been added to upgrades of the program?

Charlesfan. I have a USB-PPI cable. The cable works perfectly when downloading to S7 224. The computer properties says the cable is working properly.

The TP070 program does not give me USB option in communications, so I believe it's trying to transfer in serial mode at the default baud rate and port. I'm provided only two options for port in the program: COM1 and COM2. The program is called TP Designer, Version 1.0. When I am at the start screen, it shows "Start", "Transfer", and "Configure". After a few moments, the program automatically goes into "Transfer" but not successfully as I get error messages on "Result" page of application at my PC. Thanks.

I proffered the questions regarding USB and the TP070 HMI unit to Siemens. Here is the Siemens reply, "USB is not supported by TP Designer / TP070.
You need always a PC/PPI cable to project a TP070. Each version of PC/PPI cable is ok even the very old ones with only 4 dip switches. USB cable or any other cable is not compatible.

If you are no able to find a PC with a serial (COM) port the only chance may ba a USB/serial adapter. If the driver simulates a COM port, it may work. In TP Designer you config COM1 then and the conversion to USB is done by the driver of the adapter. But as this is not tested and ther are several different adapter, we can´t garantee this application. We recimmend the PC/PPI cable and a serial port in PC."

So I've learned that the USB type PPI/PC cord is supported by Siemens S7 224 but not the Siemens TP070 HMI (a low-end HMI unit that is on its way out of favor).

I ordered the correct serial-to-serial PPI/PC cable on Friday.

Would anyone know whether there are HMI's by Siemens or others that support USB and would work with the S7 224 PLC? Some day, I'd like to upgrade to a more sophisticated color unit that provides graphics capability.

Thanks for the help here at the site.