IEC1131 (Wago I/O Pro, Beckhoff TwinCat, Klockner Moeller XSoft, MultiPROG)

zif2

Hi All,

I am currently evaluating different vendors (Wago, Beckhoff, Klockner Moeller, Baumueller) and their IEC1131 programming packages. It seems that WAGO, Beckhoff and Klockner Moeller use same basic programing environment, unlike Baumueller that has MultiPROG.

I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with these packages (grid based ladder logic editor would be preferred, Wago, Beckhoff and KM have very limited LD editing capabilities, I don't know about MultiPROG - I haven't used it yet).

Regards,
zif

Since they are all IEC they will be somewhat the same in the manner that they work. Although each manufaturer will have little diferences. Its not a matter of which one is best its a matter of which one is going to work best for you. As far as the languages go I have found that I don't program in one language only (LD). I jump between all of then. I find that some things are easier to do in a specific language.

>As far as the languages go I have found that I don't program
>in one language only (LD). I jump between all of then. I find
>that some things are easier to do in a specific language.

I agree. The idea is to use LD for equipment control and re-use the existing LD code, ST & FBD for math calculations. Unfortunately,
since the LD editor is not grid based, sometimes (depends on the rung layout) I had to erase the whole row in a rung, and start editing from start just to add one more column in the existing row.

IEC61131

Have you looked at the Concept software from Schneider Electric?

The LD is grid based but still free format. You can have almost as many rows (32 max contacts in parallel) and columns (51 max) per rung that you want.

While there is an "insert row" command, you do not insert columns. To insert an element into an existing rung, you simply select and drag the elements you want moved to create an opening. Any modifications to one rung does not affect any other rung.

IEC PLC

I've evaluated a series of PC based software a couple of years ago using some criteria of features I wanted and Beckhoff was the chosen platform.
It was a little difficult to learn, but the rewards were worth it.

I apologize if this is not exactly within the subject of the original topic, but:

Have any of you guys tried to use an external IEC 1131 editor for Simens S7 and/or AB ControlLogix ?

Both of these are claimed to be IEC1131 compatible, but what is the reality ?
How about export/import between various IEC 1131 packages and STEP7 and RSLogix5000 ?

I have also heard that there is an IEC 1131 editor for S7 - ACCON PG..something.

I like the idea that you can choose both code editor and PLC without being limited to a fixed hardware/software vendors offering.
Also, to be able to reuse code for various PLC platforms would be a great advantage.