CompactLogix Firmware Update and DeviceNet

Hello Allen Bradley Experts. I have questions about updating the firmware for a CompactLogix 1769-L23E-QB1 Controller with Firmware version 18 to version 19.

I have a CompactLogix PLC with DeviceNet networked to a Kuka KRC2 robot and Ethernet connected to 3 Beckhoff BK9100 remote I/O nodes, 2 Panelview Plus 600 terminals, and an RTA ASCII to Ethernet gateway.

I recently updated a bunch of logic for my program to prepare for a new EOAT installation on the robot. I realized that I updated the program in RSLogix 5000 version 19.01 programming software while the processor is flashed for version 18 firmware. My first attempt was to convert the file from version 19 to 18 in the project but even though I have support for this version in RSLogix 5000, I am unable to do it (only 19 and 20 is available in the dropdown list). So my next attempt would be to update the firmware in the processor to version 19.

My questions are as follows...

*I have ControlFlash setup on the laptop as well as version 19 and 20 firmware available to flash the processor to prepare before dumping the new program in the PLC. Before I do this, I wanted to ask, will updating the firmware ruin or risk corrupting any DeviceNet configuration in the Scanlist in my DeviceNet scanner or any Ethernet configuration settings?

*Are there compatibility issues with a DeviceNet scanner having to have a certain firmware version to match version 19 on the CompactLogix?

*As long as I have a backup of the original file and the modified file, I should be okay with communication configuration if I have to rollback the firmware?

*I have RSNetworx for DeviceNet, but how do I get the configuration for Devicenet on my laptop if I need a backup or if I need to make changes. I have tried this and should be able to do it with pass through from the Ethernet through the backplane to the DeviceNet Scanner. But I cannot seem to get any active information or nodes on my network. I think that Devicenet has to be in config mode and not running (set the enable bit in the program temporarily off) to do this?

Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Hi

I am not an AB expert but I will try to answer your question

1:flashing your plc to 19 should not affect your devicenet card as long as you don't flash the dnet card. What version is your dent card and this will tell me if you have to flash it up to work with ver 19

2: you could export /save your project as a .5 k file open it in a text file, change the processer back to ver 18 and open it again using ver 18

Donnchadh

Thanks for the help. I will try the .L5k export/import trick when I have the laptop available to me later tonight.

The DeviceNet module I am using per the offline project is 1769-SDN/B Rev 2

Do you have any advice to extract the devicenet configuration?