1769-L32E Compactlogix Firmware

slickfix2

I work at a city sewer plant as a maint tech. About a year ago I backed up all of our PLCs to compact flash cards. All the processors are 1769-L32E's. I only saved the programs and not the firmwares. All are 16.20 I was leary about reloading the firmware if there was program corruption.

We had a processor failure, and I learned quickly that on a new processor there is no firmware and it took a long time to reflash the firmware using RSlogix5000 and control flash. So I have a few questions.

1) The only flash I could find was 16.22 verses 16.20 . Do you have to have the same major and minor version for a project to load and run correctly? Must you have the exact same firmware to download a project?

2) Is it possible to upload the firmware from a working processor to computer using rslogix5000, or to save the project and firmware to compactflash and then get the firmware file from the compactflash card?

3) On attempting to upload firmware and program to a compactflash card I got the error something to the effect of "not exact keying and that some of the firmware would not be saved." What does this mean?

4) On a firmware upload from processor to Compactfash is the processor, or module firmware uploaded, or both? Relates to the above question.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

When loading th program from flash to the PLC the program MUST be the same firmware revision as the processor.
I think it is because the stored program on the flash card is the compiled version of the program, when downloading from RSlogix5000 the software compiles the program for the correct firmware of the PLC.

Alan.

Welcome to the forum!
slickfix2 said:
1) The only flash I could find was 16.22 verses 16.20 . Do you have to have the same major and minor version for a project to load and run correctly? Must you have the exact same firmware to download a project?

In general, no, minor revision doesn't matter at all. Only the major revisions must match. However the two posts above are ones to watch for - v20 and 21 have some issues between 20.01/21.01 and 20.03/21.03. If you're at v16 it shouldn't worry you. I can't confirm alan_505's point about loading from CF card as I never use them due to the nature of my projects, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it out either way.

slickfix2 said:
2) Is it possible to upload the firmware from a working processor to computer using rslogix5000, or to save the project and firmware to compactflash and then get the firmware file from the compactflash card?

No. You can only download the firmware from the Rockwell website.

slickfix2 said:
3) On attempting to upload firmware and program to a compactflash card I got the error something to the effect of "not exact keying and that some of the firmware would not be saved." What does this mean?
I'm not 100% certain here but basically, you can set your program up so that it has to see the exact module (e.g. for a digital input card, a 1769-IQ16 series A) or just a compatible module (any 16 channel digital input card). Maybe you've swapped out a series A processor for a series B processor or something?

slickfix2 said:
4) On a firmware upload from processor to Compactfash is the processor, or module firmware uploaded, or both? Relates to the above question.
Again, not 100% sure here, but I think only the processor firmware.