You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 20th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #1
phuz
United States

Can't access PC behind Stratix switch

I'm fairly green when working with Stratix but they don't appear all that difficult; however, I'm having an issue accessing a PC that is behind one of them.

In the plant, they have their main business network, 10.91.114.XXX. The one stratix is .21 and the other is .22. There were 3 PCs that we couldn't access behind the .21, so I checked them out and added the gateway (stratix's control-side network IP address) and disabled windows firewall. Then those 3 PCs became visible from the business side. I went to the PC behind the .22 stratix and set the gateway (firewall was already disabled), but still unable to ping it from the business side. It communicates with all the other devices on it's own network, and can ping the stratix itself, but isn't visible from the other side. Both stratix switches are configured identically with auto-configure. Any idea what could be blocking it?
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #2
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Hard to say with the info. Do you have a diagram and model of the stratix? What's the IP and the subnet of each? Any VLAN set up?
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:08 AM   #3
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting View Post
Hard to say with the info. Do you have a diagram and model of the stratix? What's the IP and the subnet of each? Any VLAN set up?
10.91.116.1 on one; 10.91.117.1 on the other. Both subnets 255.255.255.0. No VLANs.
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:46 AM   #4
drforsythe
United States

Looks like your subnet is the issue. Change to 255.255.0.0 and try. The third set of numbers in your addresses do not match. With the subnet you have, the first three sets of numbers must match.
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:55 AM   #5
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by drforsythe View Post
Looks like your subnet is the issue. Change to 255.255.0.0 and try. The third set of numbers in your addresses do not match. With the subnet you have, the first three sets of numbers must match.
The business side of the stratix units are 10.91.114.21 and .22. The control side of stratix #1 is 10.91.116.1. The control side of stratix #2 is 10.91.117.1. All the devices behind both units are configured with respective IP addresses and subnets of 255.255.255.0 with the gateway IP of their respective stratix. All devices can be pinged with the exception of a single PC node. If all the devices behind #1 are in the 10.91.116.XXX range, and all the devices behind #2 are in the 10.91.117.XXX range, why would we use anything except 255.255.255.0?
I agree 255.255.0.0 would be appropriate if we had multiple subnets, but we don't. They are two isolated subnets that don't see each other. And the fact that everything else communicates properly on the subnets we have set lets me think that's not the issue here.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Davkul
United States

So there are working devices connected to and the same Stratix as the PC that is not working?

If so sounds like a routing table issue on the PC.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:20 PM   #7
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkul View Post
So there are working devices connected to and the same Stratix as the PC that is not working?

If so sounds like a routing table issue on the PC.
Correct.
I am actually going to be on site tomorrow so I will be checking into this.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum