You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 18th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #1
jaden
United States

Studio5000 early Expiration problem

My Studio 5000 would not start RS5000, saying my 7 day grace period had expired. I checked and found the software expiration was 6 months from now.
RS500 in the same package works fine. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Jeev
Australia

Use FactoryTalk Activation Manager to see what's going on with the licence. It may have already expired sending you back to the Demo on Studio.

**EDIT: If so, I'm sure your local Rockwell distributor/supplier can get you a temporary licence to get you out of trouble.

Last edited by Jeev; April 18th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #3
jaden
United States

The Activation Manager is what says I have 6 months left.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #4
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

Does the Studio 5000 serial number in Help>About match the serial number in the activation manager?
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #5
AustralIan
United Kingdom

I have never come across this. Studio 5000 is so easy to program i am usually done before a week is out, and never have to revisit the code.

That said, find out what bit of hardware the licence is tied to. It is probably missing or turned off, eg wireless adapter MAC address.

Either rehost it, or fix the device.

I hope this is at least half helpful
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:24 AM   #6
Helliana
United States

Mine does this fairly often when i have multiple different versions of RSLogix5000 and Studio5000 open. It also does not release the license after all my Logix windows are closed. A reboot fixes it.
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #7
AGill
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralIan View Post
Studio 5000 is so easy to program i am usually done before a week is out, and never have to revisit the code.
Sneaky snark right there.
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Mispeld
United States

I have found the "Refresh Server" button on the Advanced tab of FactoryTalk Activation Manager helpful for fixing license inconsistencies, though I have not experienced exactly what was described in post #1.
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #9
jaden
United States

I have discovered that last year's activation is still present on the computer, and it's serial # is the one shown, not the one from the latest activation.
Strange thing is, it worked for 6 months after new activation.
Now, I can't delete the old activation.
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:47 AM   #10
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

Aha. Maybe Logix is trying to take the old activation. Whether that's because the new activation is being "held onto" by some other instance of the software that didn't shut down properly (or something), or because Logix just has it's knickers in a twist and is playing dumb, I guess we don't know.

I do remember that when I put my new activation on last year, it took me a while to work out how to get rid of the old one. It wasn't causing me any problems, I just have OCD

Unfortunately, that was nearly a year ago, and I've forgotten. Which reminds me, I need to follow up this year's renewal...

If rehosting is not an option, perhaps try browsing to the folder where the .lic files reside, and deleting the old one (obviously, double check which one is which first!). Then refresh your server, refresh your activations, restart Activation Manager, restart your PC, stand on one foot, spin around counterclockwise twice and pray to the gods of Rockwell Activations, and see if that helps your situation at all.
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:52 AM   #11
jstolaruk
United States

If it helps, I've got several old activations (Toolbox annual subscriptions) and it hasn't had any effect on the operation of any RA software that I've witnessed. I haven't been able to delete the old activations either but I didn't pursue it beyond the "normal"steps.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum