You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 19th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #16
unsaint32
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmargineau View Post
Unfortunately, the ADC (Automatic Device Configuration) feature is deployable only over EtherNet/IP on systems at Rev.20 and newer; moreover, it applies only to PF755s Rev.4.01 and newer, PF753s with 20-750-ENETR EtherNet/IP communications modules and PF525s; ADC requires Stratix 5700, 6000 or 8000 series switching for the VFD ADC subnet.

Am I correct in saying, ADC does not "require" Stratix since I can set the correct IP address in the new drive using the keypad and leave the rest to the ADC?
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #17
unsaint32
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mcquade View Post
with drive executive, we store the parameters to the hard drive.
we then place the files on the plant network in designated folders that have a meaning to everyone.
that way, any shift electrician can replace the drive if the unit fails and they know where the parameters are.

james
So, I can use CCW to do what I can with the Executive?
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #18
keshik
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

You can also create .pf5 files from the offline copy of the PLC program (assuming that the parameters have been uploaded). You can then use those with a USB stick for a software free parameter download.
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #19
dmargineau
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsaint32 View Post

Am I correct in saying, ADC does not "require" Stratix since I can set the correct IP address in the new drive using the keypad and leave the rest to the ADC?
Yes, you should be able to trigger ADC if you enter the IP Address prior to replacement even without a managed switch.
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #20
unsaint32
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshik View Post
You can also create .pf5 files from the offline copy of the PLC program (assuming that the parameters have been uploaded). You can then use those with a USB stick for a software free parameter download.
This is only for Powerflex 525, right? Not for 70 or 700, correct?
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #21
unsaint32
United States

Someone also told me not to use the HIM copycat if I can use other back up methods since the backup file stored on HIM would take up too much memory of the drive? Any thought on that?
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #22
James Mcquade
United States

let's say you back up all drives on your ccw - (assuming you mean display).
3 months later, it dies and you can't recover the files.
2 hours later, a drive dies.

that's why we use drive executive.
we put the files on a server that's backed up daily.
we have multiple laptops with the software, so no one laptop has the drive parameters.

james
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #23
ASF
Australia

Why couldn't you do the same with the CCW file?
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #24
James Mcquade
United States

I'm not familiar with ccw, so I will defer to others with more experience.
but I will add, what if the ccw unit fails and you don't have a backup?

james
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #25
ASF
Australia

Are you mixing up CCW with the HIM? CCW is just another software package like DriveExecutive - you can set up and save drive configurations, and then save the file anywhere you like. Unless all your copies of the file become corrupted, you're safe.

Saving a parameter set to the physical HIM - yes, that's when you've got an issue if the hardware fails.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #26
Ravioli
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helliana View Post
You can use DriveExecutive for all the drives except the 520 series, but it is a paid for software that is outdated since CCW was released.
I've used Drive Executive to connect online, upload and download with 525 drives. If the AOP has been installed, or a new enough version of Logix is used that includes the AOP (you can tell if the drive shows up correctly in your Logix IO configuration), Drive Executive will work.

There is a minor hicup when connecting online. You will get two errors. One will say something about port 0, or port 1, then you get a second error. Go online again and it will connect.

I thought a free "lite" version (not including Observer) is included on the RSLogix 5000 DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsaint32 View Post
Thanks for the info. What is the advantage of Executive over CCW?
For me, Drive Executive seems more to the point if you just want to upload/download parameters, or go online to check parameters vs CCW. CCW you have to keep creating project files.

Drive Executive the parameter display is denser (it shows more parameters at a time), and it shows clearer what is read only, run edit, etc.

Drive Executive also has Drive Observer. Great trending tool for commissioning and troubleshooting. I believe this is the only reason Executive is still supported as there isn't a replacement for trending in CCW.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum