RSLogix/Studio 5000 Remote Uploads

RBergmann

We use outside contractors at times to support some of our sites. I can successfully access (upload, download, monitor) most of these sites remotely (using cellular modems) except for two that have been accessed and modified by one of our contractors. I’ve had him give me the latest version of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 that he’s using and cannot see a difference based on version numbers of the software. The PLC, in all cases, is a CompactLogix L-16

Vendor’s versions are:
• RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.03 (CPR9 SR 5)
• Studio 5000 – Revision 21.03 (CPR 9 SR 5.1)

Our versions are:
• RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.01 (CPR9 SR 5)
• Studio 5000 – Revision 21.00 (CPR 9 SR 5.1)

Are the minor revisions an issue? I have been told they shouldn't be.

When I try an upload the Studio 5000 file, it tries to upload until about 30%. Then I get the following messages:

“Uploading all PLC/SLC tag mapping information”, then
“Tag used as a PLC-5 mapping file not found” and
“Failed to upload PLC file mapping information”

At that point the upload fails. I have attempted this several times and the upload aborts at the same point, with the same messages, each time.

Any help would be appreciated.

RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.03 (CPR9 SR 5)
RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.01 (CPR9 SR 5)

I have seen this recently, once a file is opened in 20.03, ver. 20.01 will not open the file. It will try and it will make you think it is going to, but it will fail.

There have been three releases (16, 20, and 21) in which RA has done a significant safety or security release that creates a barrier between minor revisions.

In general, minor revisions are for bug fixes in RSLogix 5000 itself and it doesn't matter which minor revision of the software you're running.

But in these three specific cases, the changes were important enough that RA drew the line.

I can't think of many reasonable options. "Don't have bugs" is an admirable but impossible goal. You can't make a Major Revision number increment to an old Revision, of course. And RA chose to use Minor Revision numbers rather than Service Pack numbers with RSLogix 5000.

At Rockwell Software they still have monthly meetings in which they use hockey sticks to beat an effigy of the person who invented the term "Coordinated Product Release".

Thanks for all for your responses. This has been an issue on a couple of our sites supported by the vendor who had the upgraded minor release (seems pretty major to me). I will advise supporting vendors that I will be upgrading our software accordingly and that they need to be doing the same.

Again, the PLCS.net site is the best!

It's a MAJOR blunder by a vendor to supply those versions without getting consent from the client.

My guess is they aren't aware of the issues it may cause.

Thanks

RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.03 (CPR9 SR 5)
RSLogix 5000 – Revision 20.01 (CPR9 SR 5)

I have seen this recently, once a file is opened in 20.03, ver. 20.01 will not open the file. It will try and it will make you think it is going to, but it will fail.
I have the same issue just install 20.04 and issue had gone.

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

The simplest answer is right at the end, though the previous discussion in 2014 occurred prior to it being posted in 2017.

Install RSLogix 5000 Version 20.04 and you can work with any version of 20.x firmware programs.