Micrologix1200-Inview Panel Communications Setup Help?

sbman

Hello; I'm programming a 1200 with RSLogix and a InView Panel 2706-P42R with Inview Messaging Software. I'm struggling with how to make the plc control messages on the panel, and how the devices communicate. I have a cable 2706-PCABLE1.

This is 1st experience with an Inview panel (used A-Direct text panels with micrologix before; setup was no prob). I've been reading help files and fishing around in the messagin software, but I seem to be missing some part of the picture somewhere. I see the "generate protocol" helper, but if I try top write that to N7:1 (message data address) it results in an error in RSLogix. I try to setup network communications, but there is no option for DF1; only higher-end methods. (I'll be using DF1; I think??)

If anyone can point me to sample programs for RSLogix and Inview Messaging Software that talk to each other, or some tips for what I may be missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thanks jshiepi;

I've reviewed the info/samples; now I understand more, kind of. Unfortunately, the samples are for SLC and I have a Micrologix1200. ST9 data files are used in the examples, but I do not have this data file type available, so I'm still searching. I reviewed the ab knowledgebase more, but found no info or examples on using micrologix with Inview Messaging Software.

If I understand correctly, the plc must write ASCII strings to the Inview to control the messages and the variables to be displayed. But, I do not understand where I can store ascii strings to write from. I tried "L" data file without success.

So, I'm currently trying to figure out how to store an ascii string in the Micrologix1200 to write to the Inview on channel 0. Anyone have advice?

Or maybe there's a better way? As a relative newcomer to plc's, the system of writing ascii strings for communication seems quite archaic for 2005. Am I missing a better method?

Thanks

I just created a blank project and was able to create a string file in the 1200.

Right click data file…select new….select String from the drop down box and then enter the number of elements that you think you will need down below.

Hope this Helped.

Bob O.

Many thanks; I see it now; I need to *create* the ST files. (for some reason that thought did not occur to me; I was expecting that ST file would already exist like other datafile types)

I frequently use the manual as suggested; it has good instructions for manipulating ascii data. I simply failed to understand the ST file creation.

I think I'm over the hump; thanks for helping a rookie.

sbman