RSLogix Emulate 5000 - Controller Setup

DC2010

Hi all,
I'm new to Allen Bradley programming but have done a bit with Siemens. I was hoping someone could give some direction on the following:

I am trying to set up RS Emulate. In the RSLogix Emulate chassis monitor the first available slot is 1 as RSLinx is in slot 0. And "Emulator RSLogix Emulate 5000 Controller" setup in slot 1.
My PLC is a 1769-L32E w/ (2xIQ32A, 1xOB32A, 1xOB16B, 1xIF4B, 1xOF4CIA) the CPU slot is 0, so when i try to connect to the virtual chassis is fails with error incorrect controller slot number.
What do I do as I cannot change either slot number?
Also do I need to set up IO modules on the Virtual Chassis in order to get no errors during download?

I have tried setting up another test program with controller "Emulator RSLogix Emulate 5000 Controller" and transferring all tags, routines and data types, but this seems unnecessary plus local IO doesn't match afterward.

Hopefully I have not omitted any crucial info.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
DC

I use the emulator as well mine has rs linx in slot 0 , unknown communications adaptor in slot 1 and I can put the emulator in any slot I want although it is fixed as a 5868 controller,so I write a program make the controller the same as the one in the emulator try it and before downloading it into the processor I change it to match the one I am downloading it to, also remember you can add a processor to any slot, so you can put it in a slot not being used so it does not affect the IO's

the IO's in the virtual chassis have to match the IO's in your program unless you are just using tags with out being assigned to IO's, I have tried ladder logic without IO's (tags only) and later assigned the IO's so only an emulator was needed

Thanks Jude,
I hadn't thought about leaving the IO the same and putting the processor into another slot.

However the problem I'm goning to still encounter is I have already written a pretty extensive program (that is extensive for someone new) and the controller (1769-L32E CompactLogix5332E) is set at slot 0 and I cannot seem to change it at this point.

Is there a way of simulating using what I've already written and configured in RSlogix 5000.

Thanks

In the program you have wrote can you not change the controller properties assing it in a differant slot , one not being used also change it to the type of controller your emulator allows, go to the emulator select the same slot put a new controller in it and load the program into the new controller, you can have several controllers in the emulator just have to make sure that the slot from your program matches the one in the emulator and load it there

hi Jude,
thanks for the reply, i have double checked but I cannot change the slot number on the controller in the properties. On checking it seems like with all the 1756 controllers you can change the slot number but with the 1769's you cannot.

As Jude was mentioning in post #5, it's not the slot that is the issue here. You need to change the controller from the CompactLogix to the Emulator. You cannot load a CompactLogix directly into the emulator until you do this.

OG

Hi all,
I have finally had a chance to get back to test this. I have managed to create a new project using the emulator as the controller. However in my "real" program i have a number of analog IO and my program is quite dependant on a lot of the compactlogix analog module bits for eg. Local:9:C.Ch1LAlarmLimit etc. Is there a way that these can be emulated as they are preventing me from downloading to the emulator! What is the easiest way to get around this without removing them from the program as I really need to fully test this program.
Thanks
DC

>I am trying to set up RS Emulate. In the RSLogix Emulate chassis monitor the first available slot is 1 as RSLinx is in slot 0.

I am constantly swapping between a real plc and emulate all the time. When I added the driver to RSLinx, I assigned it to slot 8, because slot 8 was empty in my rack. I then simply go into Logix and change the processor type in slot 0 from 1756-L61 to type "Emulator", and then update the Project path for going online.

Perhaps you should try the same thing. Get the RSLinx emulator driver out of slot 0 and assign it to an empty slot instead.

Hi I am in a similar situation (also coming from Siemens) and I find that although I moved RSLinx Enterprise and Classic to differnt slots, when I change my CPU in RSLogix 5000 from CompactLogix L32E to Emulator all my I/O is removed from the project as its not valid.

Anyone have experience of doing the above with the CompactLogix as I suspect it will probably work for a ControlLogix.

What DC2010 is attempting seems completely natural to me since the Siemens Emulator (or simulator as they call it) will take your actual hardware configuration and run with it - disapointed with AB so far :-(

Sorry to hijack this thread. I am new to plcs. I am tryin to set up rsemulate but when open rsemulate. I get this error . Please hep rslinx is already opened and the drivers are added. Is there anythn i am missing

Bornwild, u can use Go Advanced to attach pictures. BTW i pdf'd the content of my link as I realised you need a Rockwell support account to view the link.

Did the install go ok without glitches? read and follow readme as there is a specific installation order mentioned there. Make sure emulate and RSLogix versions are identical. Just to be sure, which RSLinx are you using and can you attach a screenshot of the configure driver dialogue showing slot allocation.

Last edited: