RSLogix 5000 ver. 23 & FTView 8.0

jkerekes

I see that both are available on the Rockwell Site. I'm downloading both to test. Is anyone familiar with what's new on both? I know, I can read the release notes.

There was a discussion about this recently and my assumptions were incorrect, so I'll share what I learned.

RSLogix 5000 Version 23 is really a re-packaged Version 20.03.

The reason as I understand is the same reason you can't use RSLogix 5000 version 20.03 with a version 20.00, 20.01, or 20.02 controller. There was a security change made at a very low level that makes the "minor revision" to 20.03 as incompatible as a Major Revision would be. This caused significant confusion.

So they skipped the number 22, relased 20.03 as 23.0, and will (probably) go to Version 24 as the next Major Revision.

Right. I did read that thread. So functionally it's the same as version 20? Where's version 21? I mean except for the security enhancements. I haven't read what's new in FTView 8.0 though.

Per the FT View 8.0 Release Notes:
FactoryTalk View Site Edition 8.00 includes the following enhancements:

New operating system support

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition (64-bit)
Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition (32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8.1 Professional (32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit)
Windows 8 Enterprise Edition (32-bit)
Windows 8 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8 Professional (32-bit)
Windows 8 Professional (64-bit)
Installation enhancements

Unattended installation
FactoryTalk View Site Edition supports the unattended mode to install the software. You can typically use this mode during large-scale rollouts when it might be too slow and costly to have administrators or technicians interactively install the software on individual computers.

Client installation portal
During FactoryTalk View Site Edition installation, you can choose to install the client install portal feature. It allows you to install Site Edition Client through a web browser in a distributed system.

FactoryTalk Historian Connectivity tools
This installation option allows to create Historian SE points from trends and display data from FactoryTalk Historian on the trends.

Uninstall FactoryTalk View tool
You can use the tool to uninstall FactoryTalk View components that are already installed on your computer. It does not uninstall components, like RSLinx Classic and FactoryTalk Activation Manager, that are shared with other products.

Usability enhancements

FactoryTalk View SE Cache Management tool
You can use the tool to manage the temporary files of HMI Server components with Internet Explorer version 10 or later.

Confirmation popup before action
You can choose to show a confirmation popup dialog box and configure the appearance when executing commands or actions on buttons, numeric inputs, string inputs, or objects with touch animation.

Button enable/disable
Uses a tag name or expression to determine whether the state of a button should be enabled or disabled.

Digit grouping display
You can configure to show the digit grouping of a value at run time. The digits are divided in groups of three by the Windows digit grouping symbol. The digit grouping symbol uses the numeric format of the current runtime language. The format can be configured in the Windows Region and Language settings of Control Panel.

Capture value before change
When you change the numeric or string input value, the previous value is logged and shown in the Diagnostics List.

Irregular touch animation
You can specify the rectangular bounding box or the object outline as the touch area.

Remote studio
Allows remote View Studio administration of Network View Site Edition Station.

VBA code import and export
You can import or export VBA code that is stored with the objects on displays using the Graphic Import Export Wizard.

New security user group function: CurrentUserGroups()
This function returns the FactoryTalk user group list of which the current user is a member. This function is available in VBA only.

New security user group function: CurrentUserHasGroup()
This function returns whether the current user is assigned to the specified FactoryTalk user group.

Right. I did read that thread. So functionally it's the same as version 20? Where's version 21? I mean except for the security enhancements. I haven't read what's new in FTView 8.0 though.

I think 23 is actually 21.03 re-packages since vs 21 has been released for a while (Studio5000).

Per the FT View 8.0 Release Notes:
FactoryTalk View Site Edition 8.00 includes the following enhancements:

I though I also saw something in the release notes about being able to add users to FactoryTalk security from the PanelView...but I may be mis-remembering and I don't have the release notes on this computer to check.

Thanks for the explanations. Yeah, they slipped up with that minor release incompatibility issue.

jkerekes, just curious where you found that list of changes that you posted? I just downloaded FTV 8.0 and the list I found it in is a little different:

EDIT: Just realized why the lists are different, he posted the SE features, and I was looking at ME :)

FactoryTalk View Machine Edition 8.0 includes the following enhancements:

New operating system support:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition (64-bit)
Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition (32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8.1 Professional (32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit)
Windows 8 Enterprise Edition (32-bit)
Windows 8 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)
Windows 8 Professional (32-bit)
Windows 8 Professional (64-bit)

PanelView Plus 7 support - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 supports PanelView Plus 7 Standard, and PanelView Plus 7 Performance terminals. The new PanelView Plus 7 terminals provide additional display resolutions and sizes, including wide aspect ratio displays.

Design-time Security enhancements – FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 changes the way applications use the FactoryTalk Directory. Beginning with FactoryTalk View ME 8.0, each ME application will use a private instance of FactoryTalk Directory. In particular, the security configuration of applications will no longer overwrite or otherwise intermingle.

User Management functions - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 provides the following enhancements for managing users while an application is running:
Add User/Group button - Provides the ability to add a FactoryTalk security user, a Windows-linked user, or a Windows-linked group to the current running application.
Delete User/Group button - Provides the ability to delete a FactoryTalk security user, a Windows-linked user, or a Windows-linked group from the current running application.
Modify Group Membership button - Provides the ability to change a FactoryTalk user, a Windows-linked user, or a Windows-linked group membership in the current running application.
Unlock User button - Provides the ability to unlock a FactoryTalk user account, which has been locked.
Enable User button - Provides the ability to enable a disabled FactoryTalk user account from the current running application.
Disable User button - Provides the ability to disable a FactoryTalk user account from the current running application.
Login button - Adds Domain Name options and user name input masks.
Password button - Provides the ability to allow the currently logged-in user to change the current password, or the logged-in administrator to change any FactoryTalk user password.
Change User Properties button - Provides the ability to change any FactoryTalk user properties.

CurrentUserHasGroup() - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 supports the CurrentUserHasGroup() security function. This security function specifies whether a user is assigned to a specified group configured in FactoryTalk Directory.

Domain Authentication enhancements - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 supports Windows CE domain authentication against Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems in the following mechanisms:

LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)

LDAP over SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)

Usability enhancements - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 provides the following usability enhancements:

Application Manager enhancements - This wizard returns to the initial window after completing an operation.

Alarm Setup editor enhancements – Adds the support for resizing Alarm Setup editor.

Language switching - Adds the support for the strings of captions and shorten messages in the pop-up windows of User Management buttons.

Communication protocols checking – If a device shortcut is associated with unsupported communication protocols, warnings show in the following situations:

when creating a runtime 8.0 application (*.mer)
when loading any version of runtime applications (*.mer) on terminals
Terminal resolution checking - When loading a runtime application (*.mer) on a terminal, if the application’s resolution does not match the terminal’s physical resolution, a warning shows.
Runtime enhancements to Security Codes (A-P) - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 provides the following runtime enhancements to Security Codes (A-P):
Denying a security code takes precedence over granting a security code.
When a user is a member of more than one A-P security code configurations, at login, the user’s effective security codes will be an AND of all security configurations, of which the user is a member.

Installation enhancements - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 supports unattended mode to install the software on Windows desktops.

Expanded functional capability - Rockwell Automation ActiveX suite is loaded and pre-registered in PanelView Plus 7 and PanelView Plus 6 terminals, and with FactoryTalk View Studio to accelerate application development.

FunctionKey - FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 supports the FunctionKey ActiveX Control object. This ActiveX Control object provides the system with the ability to send Function Key keystrokes to the keyboard buffer using tags when it is not possible to use the terminal keypad.

PanelView Plus 7 terminals provide additional display resolutions and sizes, including wide aspect ratio displays.

Aha... so that's what happened to the PanelView 5000 hardware !

It might almost get me to consider using them.

Logix Designer v23 is merely a Product Resiliency Release. It has the same security features as v21.03, but with a fix for an anomaly related to third-party software communications through RSLinx causing MNRF faults in the controller (Major Non-Recoverable Fault).

They really have made a hash of all this v21>v22>v23 stuff.

615554 - Logix Designer Software, Version 23.00
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

I'm still keeping our site version locked at Logix 19 and FTView 6.0 with one service pack. If I'm lucky, I'll keep everything locked there for a couple years yet. I might change if Rockwell ever dumps its idiotic licensing and activation garbage (or if by some miracle I can completely dump FTView for almost any other HMI package out there).

Design-time Security enhancements – FactoryTalk View ME 8.0 changes the way applications use the FactoryTalk Directory. Beginning with FactoryTalk View ME 8.0, each ME application will use a private instance of FactoryTalk Directory. In particular, the security configuration of applications will no longer overwrite or otherwise intermingle.

Wow, can't believe it has taken this long for them to fix this incredibly annoying issue.

I also like this cool little feature for SE.

Confirmation popup before action
You can choose to show a confirmation popup dialog box and configure the appearance when executing commands or actions on buttons, numeric inputs, string inputs, or objects with touch animation.