Windows 10-Rockwell Automation Software.RS Logix5000,500,FactoryTalk View.Any Issues?

On the host or VM? What makes it better? Pricey?

In the VM.

Server editions of Windows are extremely stripped down so there's no much else BS running in the background while youre running your AB software. it takes a bit to get setup, there are a few things you need to install manually at the start, but once its all setup its excellent.

I have LTSB running in VMWare workstation pro. You can use gpedit to disable the anti-virus (which you shouldn't need because you shouldn't be doing any downloading/browsing on the guest) and gpedit to force it to notify you of updates before downloading so you can let it do its thing when you are ready.

Thanks for all your advice ,

Spoke with Rockwell Automation , and they said they support , with Windows 10 , the following older versions with RS Logix 5000 , versions 16 , and 20. The versions we have at the moment in our plant is versions 16 , 20,
28 and 31 . I do have 4 ControlLogix CPU's that are version 17 , and they are 1756-L61's . How high can L61 CPU's be flashed ? or would I be best flashing down to version 16 ?

Also , if I load RS Logix 500 on a Windows 10 laptop, I can still go online with pretty much all my SLC 500 and Micrologix PLC's , correct ?

One more question ...... If I get a laptop with XP Mode , I can do all my work with FactoryTalk View 32 bit applications in XP Mode ? With XP Mode, that makes it easier to do the conversion also , correct ?

Thanks so much for your help.

XP mode isn't a thing in Windows 10. XP mode is actually just a virtual machine anyway. If you are trying to work with older software, you should really get a laptop with at least 16GB of RAM and a 1TB solid state drive (dirt cheap now). You can then run your older software on a windows XP virtual machine, and a windows 7 virtual machine for other software that may require it.

Where do you get your Server 2012 license from? I looked around on Amazon and all of it seems sketchy.

Server 2016 is based on Win10, I think so may present more problems.

In the VM.

Server editions of Windows are extremely stripped down so there's no much else BS running in the background while youre running your AB software. it takes a bit to get setup, there are a few things you need to install manually at the start, but once its all setup its excellent.

I'm looking at doing the same, although not sure whether I should try for Server 2019 and risk being on the bleeding edge. Can you elaborate at all on the sort of things you had to install manually and get set up? Was it intuitive to do, i.e. the Logix installer would say "I can't install until you install X Y and Z", or did it just fail to install and you had to trawl through the install log to work out what was missing? Any particular gotchas that you encountered?

@ASF -

I don't remember if anything else was missing, but before even STARTING a Rockwell Software install on a Windows Server Platform, I manually download and install SQLServerExpress, fully enable IIS (Internet Information Services), and download and install the Microsoft DotNet Runtimes (3.5 SP1 and 4.5.x). Oh, install them all with administrative rights.

The Rockwell installer has a hard time actually running the scripts to start third party installs on the Server Platforms. Windows 10 based platforms would be even worse without manual install I'd think, as they refuse to allow a program to launch anything with admin rights

@Kamanges what performance issues do you have with VM's on laptops?
I have a pretty base-line Surface Pro 3, like 4 or 5 years old, and it runs my Rockwell Software no issues in my Win 7 VM, even side by side with the Win XP VM running.

Sorry , for my dumbness . What is the Server Software License needed for ?

Well, it's the operating system. My question was directed at those who run server OS on their programming laptop and beside the question on where to buy legit copy of OS, how is their programming computer set up?

From what I read, Microsoft allows 2 instance of VM on Server Standard with Hypervisor, so why is VM workstation needed at all? Unless one keep the host as Win7/Win10?

In the VM.

So it's about twice the price of Win 10 Pro OEM. What do you run as the host? Any other benefits? I have a new PC (no OS) arriving in the next week and am looking at my options.

Does anyone prefer Hyper-V over VmWare?

No experience with Hyper-V, but my last W10 update refused to install because it didn't like VmWare 15. Not sure if it's been fixed or if they plan to try.

Well, it's the operating system. My question was directed at those who run server OS on their programming laptop and beside the question on where to buy legit copy of OS, how is their programming computer set up?

From what I read, Microsoft allows 2 instance of VM on Server Standard with Hypervisor, so why is VM workstation needed at all? Unless one keep the host as Win7/Win10?

This is where I'm looking... https://www.novatech.co.uk/products...english-1pk-dsp-oei-dvd-1-2cpu/g3s-00716.html

... bound to be some retailers across the pond that will sell to non-enterprise?

I currently run Windows 10 v1809. I have been able to install:
RSLogix v19 and above (with exception to v29, not sure why but would not install and it's listed as not compatible on Rockwells website). Also, recently this year v16.05 is compatible with Windows 10.
RSLogix 500 v12 works, RSLogix 5 v9 works. I use VM software for anything else.