HELP! Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 fault

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Evening Friends

I have an urgent need. A local sewer plant has an Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 plc. Tonight they suddenly got an alarm. We show up and the CPU fault light was flashing. All the outputs are off and the HMI is not responding at all. By all appearances the CPU is stalled and not running whatsoever.

A power cycle made no difference. What do you recommend to get us going? Are there any options?

we're going to need more information in order to give you detailed help ...

do you have a copy of RSLogix500 available? ...

if so, have you tried to communicate (go online) with the processor? ...

if you can communicate (go online) what fault code is the processor declaring? ...

or maybe there is no program/code at all in the processor ...

do you have a copy of RSLinx available? ...

if so, what (if anything) does the RSLinx screen show about the SLC processor? ... specifically, does it give the processor's name? ...

just GUESSING about what you've posted so far - one or more of the modules has become defective - and so the processor has gone into a fault mode ...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I do not have any of the Rockwell software readily available. I was hoping to be able to figure out which way to point the customer without having to log in to the plc.

So...I have not tried going online so I don't know if that would be successful or not.

The plc was working fine up until about 3 hours ago. It was installed in 2005 or 2006 customer says.

So I will give as much information as I can. I am not real familiar with these plcs.

The fault light is flashing, the ethernet light is blinking, but the Run, Force, Battery, and RS232 are all off. Obviously, the Run light should be on. What about the battery light?

The Input modules show inputs and seem to be working. Both output modules have no lights lit up whatsoever. The analog input module.....all lights are off except the module status light is solid green. The DeviceNet module....the status and net lights are both solid green and the digital display is flipping between 00 and 80.

Does this give you any idea?

I read on here you can flip the key switch to PRG then to RUN, but that didn't make any difference. It is currently in REM position.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the Rockwell software readily available.

that is NOT good news ... you're pretty much dead-in-the-water working on this type of system without RSLogix500 ...

do you have a good working relationship with your local Allen-Bradley distributor? ... if so, you MIGHT be able to talk one of their technicians into dropping by tomorrow to get online with the processor and help you troubleshoot ...

your forum location just says "PA" ... if you post what part of PA then MAYBE one of the forum members in your area MIGHT be able to help you out ...

I was hoping to be able to figure out which way to point the customer without having to log in to the plc.

So...I have not tried going online so I don't know if that would be successful or not.
no – it WON'T/CAN'T be successful without a working copy of RSLogix500 software ... specifically, that's the software that allows you to "go online" (in other words, communicate) with the SLC-5/05 processor ...

incidentally, the version/flavor that you need sells for about $2,500 ...

based on what you've posted so far, you've done just about everything that you can without having a copy of the necessary software ...

can the equipment (pumps, etc.) be controlled manually to get the customer through the night – and (at least) into tomorrow? ...

no offense intended – but you said that this is a sewer plant – so - depending on how fast the sludge is rising - you might want to consider recommending that the customer call in someone else ...

that is NOT good news ... you're pretty much dead-in-the-water working on this type of system without RSLogix500 ...

do you have a good working relationship with your local Allen-Bradley distributor? ... if so, you MIGHT be able to talk one of their technicians into dropping by tomorrow to get online with the processor and help you troubleshoot ...

your forum location just says "PA" ... if you post what part of PA then MAYBE one of the forum members in your area MIGHT be able to help you out ...

no – it WON'T/CAN'T be successful without a working copy of RSLogix500 software ... specifically, that's the software that allows you to "go online" (in other words, communicate) with the SLC-5/05 processor ...

incidentally, the version/flavor that you need sells for about $2,500 ...

based on what you've posted so far, you've done just about everything that you can without having a copy of the necessary software ...

can the equipment (pumps, etc.) be controlled manually to get the customer through the night – and (at least) into tomorrow? ...

no offense intended – but you said that this is a sewer plant – so - depending on how fast the sludge is rising - you might want to consider recommending that the customer call in someone else ...

Thanks Ron!

I appreciate your feedback. When I first posted, was shortly after I got here and wanted to post to see if there was still people available tonight. I have been doing a bunch of research too and basically concluded that we are basically done for without the software.

No offence felt! We take care alot of their other controls work, that is how they got us in here because from their description we thought a control fuse was blown.

I did manage to get a hold of a live person at the OEM, who holds the program.

Thankfully we are able to run everything on hand.

Thanks alot for your advice!

one additional straw at which to grasp ...

you mentioned DeviceNet ... you might want to check the cables to the DeviceNet devices (inputs and outputs) ... make sure that they're not just kicked loose or something ... and make sure that the DeviceNet (and any other remote I/O) is powered up and connected ...

it's certainly possible that something COULD be wrong with some "remote I/O" - and that MIGHT be causing the processor to fault ...

SLC systems are notoriously picky about having ALL of their I/O modules "present and/or accounted for" - or the processor considers a Fault condition to exist ...

good luck ... good night ...

Last edited:
I have the program on hand.

We are good till the morning.

I am in Northeastern PA. The jobsite is actually in Pine Grove, PA. If any one familiar with this and wants a job in the morning, feel free to speak up. Thanks!

We got a Allen Bradley programmer from the local distributor to come in last night. All he had to do was redownload the program and we were good to go.

Seems the program somehow just got wiped out. From research, it seems that is not a totally uncommon occurrence? What tips would you give to avoid this again? Maybe there is no way..........

BTW. I am checking into purchasing the RSLogix 500 software

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

Does the EEPROM hold the program and reload it to the processor if necessary?

I'd appreciate a little more info on that if possible.

Also, the programmer told me last night that too much network traffic could cause this as well. He said he would recommend a managed ethernet switch. What do you think of that?

The EEPROM holds the program, and can be configured to always load, load on a fault etc...The loss of program may be an indication of a piece of hardware on the way out. I would get the EEPROM and then if you start experiencing lots of issue, explore what might be the cause. I have seen brown out conditions, noisy grounds, bad back planes etc.... I suppose network traffic could be a cause, but I have never encountered it.

I'd appreciate a little more info on that if possible.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in010_-mu-p.pdf

Ken said:
I suppose network traffic could be a cause, but I have never encountered it.

I have never seen it before either and doubt it would clear the processor memory

If its in a hot environment or with electrical noise or if its just old and seen better days (like me :) ), do you know what the series is A,B,C or D? that will tell you the age